Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herbivore_gw

Where to buy seeds, come spring?

herbivore
16 years ago

Hi everyone! Boy do I have spring fever already. This is the earliest it's ever hit. Anyway, for the first time I have requested seed catalogs in the mail from Burpee and some other companies. (They haven't arrived yet, though)

I'm interested in starting Brandywine tomatoes from seed this spring, but I'm wondering if I have to order them from a seed company or if those seeds are available at Lowe's or Target (which does sell some kind of gourmet or hybrid line of seeds, although I can't remember specifics) or another place, come spring. Anyone know?

Comments (12)

• birdgardner
    16 years ago

Pinetree Seeds of Maine, very good prices and low shipping. Nice tomato selection, good service.

Let us all pause for a moment of silence, in annual memorial of the passing of NJ Botanical Gardens and its wonderful proprietor. They used to sell two hundred different varieties of tomato plants alone, and a world of everything else!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Brandywine is usually on the seed racks, at least Burpee. Seed Savers Exchange has Suddeth's strain Brandywine. Not sure if every rack has that one. I think I picked that up at the NY Botanical Garden. Well, they should be setting them up shortly, so you'll know.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Let us all pause for a moment of silence, in annual memorial of the passing of NJ Botanical Gardens and its wonderful proprietor. They used to sell two hundred different varieties of tomato plants alone, and a world of everything else!

I'm sorry I never got a chance to visit NJBG. I did visit Cross Country Nurseries last year as suggested by Carl. They had many varieties of pepper and tomato plants. Not huge plants but they were beginning to flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Country Nurseries

• herbivore
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all! I will look for Brandywine on the seed racks. :)

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

Don't forget Stokes Seeds---a very informative website as well as many varieites of everything. Although they are slanted towards the commercial growers.

• wardda
    16 years ago

Another Brandywine to consider is a red type called: Brandywine OTV which the Southeast Seed Exchange sells. It does better than the standard pink one some years. Many places like Lowe's now sell plants, but I prefer to start my own. And keep in mind that Brandywines aren't particularly productive and they will grow huge. In order to get a steady supply I grow 6 plants of two types each summer. Southeast Seed Exchange sells another really good tomato for our area called Ozark Pink. It has heirloom flavor, tastes like one of its parents Arkansas Traveler, but is more productive and doesn't crack as much.

• maggie-2007
    16 years ago

You can also do alot of viewing on line. Last year purchased plants as a back up as it was first time starting tomato plants from seeds, all heirloom. Lucky year as did really well, could have set up a small stand! Territorial Seed is where I ordered plants and they came excellently packed and quite healthy. From them I got Brandywine, Purple Calabash and Striped Roman. Had a very successful garden with all. Not expensive either.

• njtea
    16 years ago

Loretta, did you like your Brandywine Suddeth? I've grown it for a couple of years and decided it isn't productive enough for me to use up good garden space on it.

I was going to order just one pkg. of Oxheart seeds from Tomato Growers, but the cost to ship was almost 2x the cost of the seeds - hopefully, I'll be able to find a good Oxheart on a rack some place. Anyone have any suggestions on Oxhearts?

• bogey123
    16 years ago

Try the seed savers exchange (just google it). Its a non profit outfit in Iowa that has loads of very interesting items vege to flowers in various sizes. Their color catalog is well worth ordering, its free.

• evan1
    16 years ago

when it comes to OxHearts Wolford Wonder is my pick. I've grown them all and that ranks the top.

• patsi
    16 years ago

herbivore,

You can buy anywhere...
    If you like some free...
    My husband has most of these available.
    John's Seed List

E-mail and let us know.

Patsi

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Sorry NJTea, I didn't see your note.
    I am with you, Brandywine has not been productive for me. Occasionally it produces but mostly the tomatoes come too late and too few.
    What urks me to this day is the year after I first tried Brandywine, I had a self sower grow and produce tons of tomatoes on the North side of my house and I didn't save any seed. The seedling was heavily pleated. Oh well, I didn't know better then.