Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Chaning zones

njtea
17 years ago

Here's an interesting article from Anne Raver in today's NY Times. Be sure to check out the arborday.org website for their new zone map. Free registration to get the Times article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anne Raver NY Times Article

Comments (10)

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry about that.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I was at the NYBG. for the train show. I was dying to check out the Ladies Border but I was trying to show that I was there for the kids, not me (right). Even the short detour I took through the perennial garden got a lot of "It's not this way, it's that way."
    My zone is now 6-7 instead of 6. Well, I really always thought of it that way. We don't get many days below zero and if it is, it's usually the windchill factor.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

These palms are thriving in sheltered microclimates without foliage protection. A good microclimate adds 7 to 10 degrees on a radiational cooling night.
    Trachycarpus fortunei planted April 2001.
    {{gwi:1058182}}

My largest needle palm(Rhapidophyllum hystrix), over 20 yrs old from 2 gallon size and divided in half 4 yrs ago. A zone 6 palm.
    {{gwi:1057738}}

A south-facing wall with palms including Trachycarpus, Sabal minor, & S. louisiana in their fourth winter. Verbena 'Taylortown Red' flowering.
    {{gwi:1058183}}

First winter for these palms in downtown Trenton.
    {{gwi:1058184}}

• wardda
    17 years ago

Steve, your palms at Palmyra Cove Nature Park look very good too. I'll be working down there this spring putting in hummingbird gardens.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

Ward, I'm looking forward to seeing your hummingbird gardens. I have extra hummingbird plants if you need them. These palms are in very poor fill dirt which contains rubble or sand. Fertilizers used include 5-10-5, water soluble, epsom salt (Mg), and iron chelates. Organic mulch has also helped improve the soil.
    Trachys at Palmyra Cove:
    {{gwi:1058185}}

Trachys & sabal louisiana behind the front entrance ramp at Palmyra Cove.
    {{gwi:1058187}}

Small needle palm at Palmyra Cove:
    {{gwi:1058189}}

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OJ, how do you insert pictures directly into a post, please and thank you.

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"OJ, how do you insert pictures directly into a post, please and thank you."

I sure do wish these forums had an option for editing one's own post. Why in heavens name did I ever say OJ? I guess I'm losing it totally.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

Use Photobucket. Click on the HTML tag and copy onto message board.

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you!

• wardda
    17 years ago

Steve, we will talk about what you have. I should also have some extra plants available to share, maybe a few you haven't tried yet. Once the gardens are established they should be a resource for anyone looking for seeds or cuttings of particular plants. Once the weather warms up I hope to impose on you again with a garden visit. My friend Ann Driscoll and I were just discussing your garden while we attended a lecture over at Swarthmore - singing its praises to another avid gardener.