Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longportliz

Moving David Austin roses, can they be pruned?

longportliz
16 years ago

Roses4ever and any other rose lover,

I'd love some help from the rose experts on this forum...I will be relocating from Philly to the NJ shore later this month (January) and I am trying to figure out the best way to transport my container grown David Austin English roses (Jude the Obscure, Scepter d'Isle, Old Rose-Louise Odier).

Right now 3 of them are very top heavy (3-4 feet tall, hips on top, not much going on below) and I was wondring if I cut them down to make them more manageable to move, would this be asking for trouble? Also I have a pretty well established climber with much more growth than the others ones I have undone from its arbor, any thoughts on pruning it to prepare this one for transport?

Another question, am I better off leaving them in containers or can I move them to the garden (sandy soil)? And lastly, what zone are we really at the southern NJ shore?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

Comments (2)

• MissMyGardens
    16 years ago

I found this guide to pruning on David Austin web site. (link below)

Looks like they don't recommend pruning until late winter for our colder climate.

If you look on the US zone map you might be in zone 7 along the Jersey shore depending on how far south along the coast you're moving. Here in Monmouth County it's still on the cusp of zone 6 even by the northern shore towns. Ocean County's shore towns move along the zone continuum from 6-7 as you go further south but 6 might be safer to assume until you see what your growing conditions are.

Here's link to NJ growing zones:

http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=NJ

Good luck with those roses!

Here is a link that might be useful: David Austin Site - Pruning

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Longportliz, welcome to the Jersey Shore! I hope your move goes well and that you will enjoy your new home. I'm still relatively new to rose culture, but think you'll find your roses will do very well here. The sandy soil usually makes for excellent drainage, you just might have to amend with organic matter. You might want to start by taking a soil sample to your County Agricultural Extension Office for a free pH test, or purchase a kit to send some soil off to the Rutgers Soil Lab for a complete analysis ($15). There are some real rose experts here, though, and I'm hoping they'll post their advice soon.

Newbie, I'm in Monmouth County also, and it certainly makes for interesting gardening. Here at home, only a few miles from the beach and across the street from a bay, the weather is considerably milder (winter and summer) than only 20 minutes away in the hills of Middletown (where I work). It's really important to get to know one's microclimate.

I believe this being on the cusp is what makes it a difficult call for us.

FWIW, I got my instruction from the curator of the rose garden where I bought my roses, a nursery in Zone 6 NY, and for them it's a more cut-and-dried 2-stage process: A rough pruning in early winter to prevent 1) wind-whipping (whereby the root ball gets loosened in the soil by strong winds rocking the plant), and 2) branch breakage from snow load. Then a fine pruning in early spring to shape the plant.

Pruning out branches susceptible to snow load seems of particular concern here because of the wet, and hence heavy & sticky, snows we can get here. On the other hand, with our capricious weather, pruning during a mild winter, or before an extended warm spell, might cause the rose to put out new growth too early.

Case in point: Almost all of my roses still have a fair number of green leaves and a few have new leaves growing, and I haven't even pruned yet!

Longportliz, I'm going to have to check back myself and see how the local experts address your questions.

Diane

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths