Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

A Visit to the Phila. Flower Show

steve_nj
14 years ago

Yesterday we visited the Phila. Flower Show; a well-deserved and wonderful taste of spring. The theme is 'Passport To The World' and features large displays of orchids, tropicals, spring flowers, and all manner of plants in the competitive classes. In addition we visited the Reading Terminal Market(a large farmers market a block away) and an Asian supermarket on Washington Ave. (South Philadelphia). The show runs until next Sunday.

Comments (8)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Anything really stand out to you this year Steve?

And, what did you buy at Reading Terminal??? ;-))

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The orchid displays and competitive classes were the highlights. We bought some fruit, veggies, and chickpea flour at the Reading Market. There are many vendors and a few sit down eateries at the market.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Thanks (I bleed Cheez Wiz and Temple Cherry and White, so I know Reading Terminal Market very well...)!

• Datdog
    14 years ago

I'm sad that I won't be able to make it this year. I'm out of town.

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Anyone else notice the incredible PNC wall, stuffed with every conceivable small
    se*dum, moss, fern, even tiarella and heuchera. . .just a masterful creation,
    cascading down a pile of discarded junk - storage boxes, an old bulldozer tread,
    two deep pools in corragated tin, broken pipe, crates and barrels - but all of it
    gloriously ALIVE! I must have spent half-an-hour poring over every detail,
    and even returned at the end of my nine-hour day to marvel at it all over again.

As a gar*dener, those are the displays I relish. . .most of the stuff put up by the increasing numbers of floral designers, party planners and florists can be
    highly theatrical - it's the Wow! factor that much of the general public responds to - and while some of them are stunning, they don't really expand
    my world as a gardener. C'est la guerre. . .

• weedwoman
    14 years ago

I spent the day there today - thought I was going to have to miss it but I got a day off. It was a nice show - not the most spectacular one I've seen but I thought the large exhibits were more interesting than they sometimes are.

It didn't seem very crowded for a Sunday in nice weather. Not a good sign.

Was it my imagination or were the horticultural classes a lot bigger this year than they usually are? That's my favorite part, anyway. And I caught the tail end of Dr. Barad giving a little demo on propagating succulents. Very cool.

WW

• Loretta NJ Z6
    14 years ago

Oh wow. It's almost like Old Home Week. I miss seeing all your posts. Seems like we mostly get spam now.

I thought it was crowded on Sunday. I had to wait online to get into the exhibits, even at the end of the show. Sometimes I could barely move.
    I really enjoyed the PNC display too.

I'm ready to hunt down some old treads.

And any other industrial waste I can find.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    14 years ago

Double image. Can't edit.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH