Is it too early to bring this up?

LOL

Probably.

If anyone hears of it, pls post.

I will post as soon as I hear of it.

Comments (17)

• classytchr64
    14 years ago

It's never to early, Ellen! It's nice to see some action on our NJ forum. I'll post any sales I find, also, whether they be plant sales or summer discount sales at local nurseries. Leslie

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

The Rutgers spring plant sale is always Mothers' Day weekend. This year the Spring Flower Fair will be May 7-9, with a preview reception & sale for members on Thursday, May 6. Here's a link to their web page:

http://rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/spring.html

For anyone in or near Monmouth County, the Rutgers Master Gardeners of Monmouth County will hold their annual Spring Garden Days with plant sales the following weekend, Fri. & Sat., May 14 & 15.

Again, if you're near Monmouth County, and have perennials or divisions you don't want or need, there's also the annual Spring Perennial Plant Swap at Deep Cut Gardens in Middletown. This horticultural park of the Monmouth County Park System is at 152 Red Hill Rd., just 1.7 miles from Exit 114 of the Garden State Parkway. Date/time: Sat., April 24, 10am-2pm, participation is free, no registration required, just bring healthy plants/divisions in 1-quart, 1-gallon or 2-gallon size containers and take home the same size and number. Call the park at 732-671-6050 for more information.

I am already eyeing my gardens for likely candidates ready for division and trade!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    14 years ago

Deercut sounds interesting!

Here are a few events at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morristown. The shows take place inside the Haggerty Center. The Plant sale is usually the opposite side of the parking lot.

Sat 4/10/10 1:30-4:30 PM & Sun 4/11/10 11 AM Â 3:30 PM
    African Violet Club of Morris County 14th Annual Show and Plant Sale.

Fri 4/16/10 1:00 - 4:30PM, Sat 4/17/10 & Sun 4/18/10 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
    North Jersey Orchid Society Show

Fri 4/23/10 2:00pm - 4:00pm and Sat 4/24/10 - 10:00am - 3:00pm
    34th Annual New Jersey Daffodil Show and American Daffodil Society Northeast Regional Show

Sat May 1 9:00am - 3:00pm
    Friends Annual Plant Sale (there is a members only sale on Fri 4/30)

Here is a link that might be useful: Other events and programs

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Hi Gardenstateofmind,
    Thanks for the info on the Spring Perennial Plant Swap. I definately want to go to this. Have you ever been? Do they accept Canna rhizomes or don't they consider this a perennial since you have to dig them up? I also have other perennials that either need to be divided or I have grown tired of that I could bring. Sounds like fun and my hubbie won't have a heart attack because it's free!

Ten Steps

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

Loretta - You can find more information about Deep Cut Gardens on the Monmouth County Park System's website: www.monmouthcountyparks.com

Ten Steps - Oh, I've definitely been: I work at the park coordinating the horticultural programs, including the spring and fall swaps.

Every year I get at least one question that throws me. Canna rhizomes ... I'm thinking they would be OK, especially if marked "tender perennial" so people will know - or at least inquire - about winter care.

This spring we are also trying (for the first time) allowing people to exchange herb and vegetable seedlings. If it goes well, then it will probably be a part of next year's spring swap, too. At the fall swap, we allow the exchange of houseplants.

Hubbies are always welcome. Usually they're also picking out plants, but we also have a few chairs set out so others can sit and guard the selections their wives have already made while they continue their "shopping."

It is fun - not only for our visitors exchanging plants, but also for our great volunteers without whom this event would not be possible. The event is rain-or-shine, unless weather conditions are dangerous.

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Yesterday was so nice that I divided some perennials that I might bring to the plant swap.
    Peony - white single flower NOID
    Phlox - David
    Rudbeckia - Goldstrum
    Blue Fescue grass

I'll see if I can come up with a Hosta or two today.
    I hope the weather cooperates on the 24!

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

Those are nice varieties of phlox and rudbeckia. Fall is usually the best time to divide peonies, but they're hardy and should do fine, just may lose a season of flowering.

So far I've potted up hardy geranium, fernleaf bleeding heart (dicentra eximia), anemone, monarda and Montauk daisy.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the weather.

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Oooo~anemone and Montauk Daisy, both on my wish list! I dug up the whole white peony plant because it just didn't do anything for me, I like the real fluffy peonies.

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

If you want to see some lovely peonies, check out peonysenvy.com. It's right here in NJ, Bernardsville to be specific. The display gardens are open May 1-June 15. The owner, Kathleen Gagan, gave an outstanding presentation at a seminar at Longwood Gardens in February. She's usually at the NJ and Philly flower shows, where I purchased a few bare-root peonies which are really looking good this spring - nice flower buds already. But I digress ... this is a difficult time of year for gardeners to stay on topic and on task ;-) I'm really looking forward to some of the great plant sales coming up.

Oh, just learned that the Pinelands Preservation Alliance is having their plant sale soon. Will post on a new thread.

• bronwynspetalpatch
    14 years ago

I cant wait for DeepCut PlantSwap... I have tons of things I divided last fall and are looking great in pots now...to name a few... sedums, hostas (solid, variagated) rose of sharons (I know, but someone may be looking to start a bloomin fence :o) Sundrops/Oenethera, Coral Bells/Heuchera, Lilacs, common daylily, lorirope, even a peach tree!

A sunny day would be lovely too... after browsing the beautiful garden, I would like to hit some yard sales on my way home... maybe find a new shovel or something :O)

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

May 1st there is a plant sale at the Earth Center:

http://events.rutgers.edu/njaes/event.asp?id=13144&d=201005&u=all&c=m2

May 8th at the Rutgers Gardens:
    http://rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/spring.html

What happened to the sale by Master Gardeners that took place every year at the Cook College campus?
    Has that been folder into Rutgers Ag Day?
    This is the website for Rutgers Day which is April 24th:
    http://agfieldday.rutgers.edu/

but I see nothing about a plant sale.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    That is my favorite sale - where they sell the Rutgers tomatoes and peppers etc that have been potted up.
    They must still have it, cuz I ran into someone who had volunteered at putting the seeds into the pots.

ellen

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

The plant sales are now held as part of the Ag Field Day. They're way down the page - it's easiest to click on the link at the top of the page for "All Things Green":

All-day event
    Annual Plant Sale
    Outside Stock up on tomato and other vegetable plants to grow in your own garden. Graduate students in plant biology are on hand to offer advice and answer questions. Cook Researchers of Plant Science (CROPS)

All-day event
    Floriculture Plant Sale
    Floriculture Greenhouse Support the teaching greenhouses and take home some unique plants. Department of Plant Biology & Pathology

Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone go to Rutgers Day?

I did not find many annuals - I did get 2 pink sage and 2 pensta (?) not sure I remember the name - pretty purple flower.

that's one problem at that plant sale - no names, no growing conditions, sometimes no one there to answer questions.

I'm sure it is more satisfactory for people looking for vegies, which I think is more why people go.

Anybody make some good purchases?
    I remember other years, I would come home with dozens (too many) of annuals - either I'm getting more picky, or they are carrying less.

• aaaaaaaa
    14 years ago

They are carrying less. I visited at around 11.15 am and all toms, peppers were gone. I went all the way from north jersey!! I got some eggplants, sweet peppers,basil and Jades. I won 6 pack Ramapo toms though--that is one thing!
    How is May 7 thru 9th plant sale at the gardens? Is it in the similar price range or is it expensive? Planning to visit that too.

Anna
    Anna

Original Author
    14 years ago

oh, Ramapo's are great!
    Last year I grew one in my driveway in container, this year am doing two.
    They taste like the tomatoes of my youth. :)

The Sale May 7,8,9 at Rutgers Gardens-
    http://rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/spring.html -

is a fun event, nice setting, lots of interesting trees, shrubs.
    I never find too much in the way of annuals there.

Prices as I recall are average/high. It is a fundraiser for the Rutgers Gardens.
    Not as inexpensive as the one at Rutgers Day, where I got 4 annuals for $10.00.
    And what a pleasure, they were all newly planted, not root-bound.

• bronwynspetalpatch
    14 years ago

It was such a lovely day for the Deep Cut Plant swap...I had to work until 11 so didnt get there until 11:30... I took home a couple new items, enjoyed chatting with the volunteers/employees? as always... they are so nice and walked the gardens with my son. Love that koi pond.

Im glad they had herbs and I took home an apple-mint.

I was mad to see that a gallon container had one, just 1 wild violet plant in it. The ones that grow in your grass. there were many like this. one rose of sharon in a gallon pot... sheesh. I stuck about 15 individual rose of sharon in a quart container for anyone looking to make a hedge. Sorry, I had to vent. I feel bad for people that showed up when that was all that was left for them to choose from.

I will still go next year... I just make sure I don't mind giving away what I bring and only wish to find one good item that I don't already have at home... anything more is cherry on the cake :o)

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to hear things were pretty picked-over by the time you were able to get to the swap. Most of the 800+ plants were exchanged in the first hour: between 10:00 and 11:00.