Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie869

virginia creeper

josie869
19 years ago

Any one have an idea how to kill virginia creeper?

I have tried cuttin the main artery but it just keeps coming back and taking over my yard.

Thanks

Comments (13)

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

kill it a lot.

wait until it puts up tender growth in the spring. sever the stems and paint the cut end with round up. You can put the Roundup in a sponge top bottle (for moistening stamps). Repeat as necessary.

Or you could keep it. I have it under my pines and I like it there - it's a nice ground cover. maybe once a year I have to pull it off the rhododendrons, not too aggressive.

• josie869
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have tried round up, didn't work
    any other suggestions?

• steve_nj
    19 years ago

Pull and dig!

• Annie_nj
    19 years ago

Pull and dig
    Pull and dig
    Pull and dig...

• lpcat
    19 years ago

This is one of the hardest plants I've tried to get rid of. I currently have a 4 year old patch which has been pulled and dug every month it's been warm enough to garden for 3 years...... I'll let you know if it still comes up this spring. Good luck and (hopefully) good riddance!!

• Jiminy_Cricket
    19 years ago

I heard this once regarding vine removal: Try submerging new growth in bottles of herbicide (like round-up) for several days/ weeks. Use old jars or Coke bottles, fill them up, and stick the branch in. Hold the branch in place with a hole in the lid and/ or aluminum foil. The natural capillary action of the plant (which it uses to deliver water from the roots) should distribute the herbicide to the roots and kill the plant.

• josie869
    Original Author
    19 years ago

oh that sounds like a great idea. I will try that. Thanks to everyone who responded.

• jammie711
    18 years ago

I am going to try this because my virginia creeper is choking out everything and destroying by fence. I do have one worry and that is my two dogs. I will have to stop them from going near the chemical. But I am very excited to go home and try this. I have pulled and dug for so long I was just about ready to give up! I hope it works! I guess we will see. Wish me luck.

• rothwood
    18 years ago

The best way to kill Virginia Creeper is to try to grow it as an ornamental vine. Once you convince it that it is not a weed, it will die!

• srosso
    17 years ago

is there anything similar to virginia creeper which is not invasive. i'm trying to cover a large wooden garage. i prefer it to be fast growing, evergreen would be nice, but not essential. self-supporting would be grand. thanks!!

• axeman
    17 years ago

"is there anything similar to virginia creeper which is not invasive. i'm trying to cover a large wooden garage. i prefer it to be fast growing, evergreen would be nice, but not essential. self-supporting would be grand. thanks!!"

Me, I like Virginia Creeper for that kind of thing. :) It gets around but not all that quickly, and I dont find it hard to remove from where I dont want it.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

Hydrangea petiolaris (climbing hydrangea), Schizophragma, and Decumaria barbara are attractive, clinging, deciduous vines. Bignonia capreolata is clinging and evergreen.

• jerusalemcherry
    16 years ago

There is one Virginia Creeper plant that grows too slow to be invasive. Its called Variegated Virginia Creeper.. The cultivar and/or variety is called Star Showers.

This plant has green & white leaves, its very showy. It can be found in local plant nurseries or if you google it. One place that sells it mail order/online... The place is called, Morrison's Home & Garden..They are in Plymouth Mass.. The phone number is 508-746-0970. They were nice to deal with & I got my plants quick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morrison's Home & Garden