Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyinnyc

So, when are people's tomato seeds getting planted?

andyinnyc
13 years ago

I know I should wait, but I'm so impatient.

May 15th is the last frost date here, so in theory, that's 12 weeks. I reasonably think I should still wait a week or more, but with all this snow and cold I'm just going crazy dreaming of Spring and Summer.

So, who planted tomatoes already?

Andrew

Comments (7)

• woodnative
    13 years ago

Andrew-
    Tomatoes grow FAST! Usually in 6 weeks I have decent size transplants.......I will not start them until the beginning of April.....end of March at the earliest.

• andyinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I haven't planted tomatoes yet - but I have planted the peppers and eggplant.

I'm just curious about those among us who are going stir crazy this Winter; it's happened to me in the past.

• urbanscoot
    13 years ago

Stir crazy is too mild a term. Just bought my first house, and after dreaming of growing veggies for years, I am chomping at the bit. Just going to be about 150 sq ft for the first year. Between seeds I have or scrounged and an order in with Fedco, looking at a variety of about 40 greens and veggies.

Given the lousy soil I am starting with, I am anticipating that this will not be my most productive of the coming years, but who cares, I'll be getting dirt between my fingers and eating food I've raised myself Woo-Hoo!

• JArnold
    13 years ago

March 10th. I live in Ocean County near the water.

• pat_gardenhobby
    13 years ago

Tomorrow! (March 6) Nothing scientific about it - I'm just ready. Got a late start last year, and had disappointing yields. Don't want to make the same mistake this time.

• andyinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, all the tomatoes are planted at my house -
    so far, slow/lousy germination. Some of the cherries sprouted quickly, but the vast majority (brand new seed) are still 'stuck in the mud'. All the tomatoes are in 72 cell trays on a heating mat, so it isn't the temp.

Still plenty of time, and I need to put up the new shelf system from Lowes. The current one is completely full and I haven't potted anything up yet. It's still way too early to put stuff in the greenhouse/shed so it looks like a second 5 shelf system with lights.

For the first time I planted all my Spring peas indoors - both snap and snow. Last year they all rotted in the ground since it was so cold and wet. I'll get them out a week or too later, but they will all be babies rather than seed.

Broc, lettuce, beets, spinach, bok choy, nappa cabbage and the rest of the Spring stuff is coming along. Just another week or two until they go out into the garden.

Pumpkins, water melon, melons, cucumbers (6 kinds this year), peppers and the rest (along with the slow tomatoes) are up and growing.

I guess I should take some pictures for the Nobel Prize committee ...

Andrew

• donnamarienj
    12 years ago

I just planted my seeds this weekend. Seems like I'm way behind you! I've planted seeds as late as April 19th, tho, with no problem. I just couldn't get to it earlier.

I wish NJ had a longer growing season. Seems like the first frost comes and I still have tons of green tomatoes on my plants.