Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dukegg1_gw

crocus blooming!

dukegg1
19 years ago

Caught my first crocus blooming yesterday as the snow melted away from the base our old oak stump in the sun. We're getting there.

Comments (13)

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

Nothing here yet in New Milford, just a few daffs foliage sprouting. I'm more worried about what perennials I'm going to lose; the mud is incredible :(

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

I've still got too much snow where my crocus are, but I do see a lot of daff leaves. Good news there duke, thanks!

• lpcat
    19 years ago

No blooms here yet - did see some foliage, crocus, brodelia, daffodils and hyacinth. I was out looking with the beautiful weather this weeekend.

• bogturtle
    19 years ago

When I first began gardening and I read the catalogs,I wondered what was meant by 'winter crocus' and you have some. I usually get a good number of a certain pale violet species before Spring actually gets here, but the only sign I see is 3 plants in the rock garden nibbled to a nub several weeks ago by some rabbit or vole. I think they will still bloom. The bigger, showier cultivars come much later for me.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

My parents in Lakewood have crocuses blooming right now. I still have too much snow in the Flemington area for my crocuses to be blooming.

• Katrinawitch
    19 years ago

I was lucky enough to enherit a beauful yard/garden, mostly annuals and bulbs, from our house's former owner. We'll be there 3 years in May, and I'm still surprised by the things that come up in the garden! Last year I noticed some snowdrops planted under a Juniper bush, and they're always the first thing to pop up in my yard. Until this week that area was covered by snow, but tomorrow morning I'm going out to see if they're peeking out of the ground yet!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

I have a galanthus going and two witchhazels - Arnold's Promise and Diane. The Arnolds Promise has a wonderful scent and floats on the wind. Love it.

• Mvespa
    19 years ago

No blooms yet, but I checked this morning and I see foliage for crocus, daffs, tulips, muscari. I can't wait! I found A few viola blooms that must have been under the snow!

• Valiche
    19 years ago

My forsythias have so many buds on them. Just waiting anxiously for them to bloom, the tell tale sign that warm weather is approaching. I also have lots of spring bulb foliage. Can't wait for the color burst!!

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

I have snow drops! and the species crocus are sticking up their leaves - must spray with deer-off before the eeeevil squirrels get them.

• nodivision77
    19 years ago

Snowdrops are in full force here in Hammonton.

• dukegg1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to everyone to responding to my post! I have a few other "snow" crocus blooming now, too, in spite of this cold snap. My snowdrops have been blooming since Christmas, but do so every year where I have them. I think the area next to my blacktop driveway by a low stone wall is a mini zone 8! Things are always happening there first. Im keeping my eye on my hellebores, that's my next big sign of spring. Duke

• cokecraze_nj_z6
    19 years ago

When I came back a vacation trip from California, I found my crocus was coming out. However, some of the shoot was eaten by the deer. Do you think those crocus being biten can still survive? I have just sprayed a lot of deer repellent on those are not biten. Hopefully, those will bloom.