Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crocus blooming!

Posted by dukegg1 z6/7NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 13:30

Caught my first crocus blooming yesterday as the snow melted away from the base our old oak stump in the sun. We're getting there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crocus blooming!

Nothing here yet in New Milford, just a few daffs foliage sprouting. I'm more worried about what perennials I'm going to lose; the mud is incredible :(

o

I've still got too much snow where my crocus are, but I do see a lot of daff leaves. Good news there duke, thanks!

o

No blooms here yet - did see some foliage, crocus, brodelia, daffodils and hyacinth. I was out looking with the beautiful weather this weeekend.

o

When I first began gardening and I read the catalogs,I wondered what was meant by 'winter crocus' and you have some. I usually get a good number of a certain pale violet species before Spring actually gets here, but the only sign I see is 3 plants in the rock garden nibbled to a nub several weeks ago by some rabbit or vole. I think they will still bloom. The bigger, showier cultivars come much later for me.

o

My parents in Lakewood have crocuses blooming right now. I still have too much snow in the Flemington area for my crocuses to be blooming.

o

I was lucky enough to enherit a beauful yard/garden, mostly annuals and bulbs, from our house's former owner. We'll be there 3 years in May, and I'm still surprised by the things that come up in the garden! Last year I noticed some snowdrops planted under a Juniper bush, and they're always the first thing to pop up in my yard. Until this week that area was covered by snow, but tomorrow morning I'm going out to see if they're peeking out of the ground yet!

o

I have a galanthus going and two witchhazels - Arnold's Promise and Diane. The Arnolds Promise has a wonderful scent and floats on the wind. Love it.

o

No blooms yet, but I checked this morning and I see foliage for crocus, daffs, tulips, muscari. I can't wait! I found A few viola blooms that must have been under the snow!

o

My forsythias have so many buds on them. Just waiting anxiously for them to bloom, the tell tale sign that warm weather is approaching. I also have lots of spring bulb foliage. Can't wait for the color burst!!

o

I have snow drops! and the species crocus are sticking up their leaves - must spray with deer-off before the eeeevil squirrels get them.

o

Snowdrops are in full force here in Hammonton.

o

Thanks to everyone to responding to my post! I have a few other "snow" crocus blooming now, too, in spite of this cold snap. My snowdrops have been blooming since Christmas, but do so every year where I have them. I think the area next to my blacktop driveway by a low stone wall is a mini zone 8! Things are always happening there first. Im keeping my eye on my hellebores, that's my next big sign of spring. Duke

o

When I came back a vacation trip from California, I found my crocus was coming out. However, some of the shoot was eaten by the deer. Do you think those crocus being biten can still survive? I have just sprayed a lot of deer repellent on those are not biten. Hopefully, those will bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here