Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elman23_gw

Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey

elman23
12 years ago

There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees that do well with a little protection during the winter months. I have been doing this for years now and have had great success. Contact ELMAN23@aol.com if you want more details on how to bring the tropics to NJ.

Comments (16)

• gardengr
    12 years ago

are you kidding would love to know more

• elman23
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Banana palms are the easiest ones to grow with little maintenance. They die down after the first freeze every year. I just mulch over a few inches and every spring they pop up. They love full sun. The one in front of my house gets to 12' tall every summer. Windmill palms also do very well in NJ. I cage them in for the winter months to proctect from snow and ice. They are cold hardy to 0 degrees. Shoot me an email at elman23@aol.com I sell these palms out of my house in the spring time. Eric

• jimy
    12 years ago

Bananas are not palms, they are large perennials that die to the ground every winter like cannas. Trachycarpus (windmill) palms do ok with protection from wet snowloads. Mine planted in 1996 as a 2 year old seedling is 13 feet now.

• jimy
    12 years ago

Bananas are not palms, they are large perennials that die to the ground every winter like cannas. Trachycarpus (windmill) palms do ok with protection from wet snowloads. Mine planted in 1996 as a 2 year old seedling is 13 feet now.

• elman23
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, 13 feet....thats pretty impressive being grown from a baby tree. The key to growth and survival in NJ is definitely placement in relation to the sun. You are right, bananas arent palm trees but a perennial plant. However, they resemble a palm tree which is why i refer to them as such. If we want to get technical, they are called the musa bajoo. Great, low maintenance plant to bring that tropical feel to your yard. The one in my front yard gets to 12-14 feet every summer. Let me ask, do you still protect your 13' windmill in winter? Eric

• jimy
    12 years ago

I don't protect it anymore, i just go out at all hours of the night during blizzards to keep the heavy wet snows from bending the fronds. it is sighted on the east side of the house protected from winds, and gets only an hour or two of morning sun in winter.

• RafaelNJ
    12 years ago

Hey Guys,
    I just ordered a few Windmill and Needle Palm trees from TyTy to plany by my pool. I live in Newfoundland, NJ and read up a lot on these palms before buying. One thing that struck me odd when I spoke to their sales rep they said they do not recommend to protect the tree at all once they are 3 feet or larger. I bought a couple that are 4 to 5 feet so now I am not sure if I should protect them in winter, I do some people online protecting even much bigger speciemen. They said in all the years only one time they had to replace a tree that size and it was due to -40 degree weather in Idaho. Also they suggested not to use any fertilizer after planting. Do you guys have any input to this? I would love to talk about the plants you have for sale elman, was thinking to plant some musa basjoo as well.

• mrvideo
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I just purchased a property on the Bay in South Jersey. I am interested in growing Palm Trees in large Pots on my deck. I have Southern exposure, and full sun all day. Can someone suggest the best palms, and the size of planters I should consider. Also, is it possible to bring the palms inside over the winter, or is it better for them to die off, and restart in the spring ?

• steve_nj
    11 years ago

Trachycarpus can be grown in containers and brought in when temps fall below 20. Containerized palms will not survive hard freezing of their roots.

• User
    11 years ago

In a container, you will have to protect any palm in NJ . Probably the best for containers in full sun and a LONG outdoor season woud be....

Queen palms. (probably the most tropical--my neighbors love them)
    Mediterranean fan palms
    Calif. or Mexian fan palms
    Canary island or pygmy date palm (of these two, the Pygmy makes te better house plant)
    Windmill palms (Trachycarps)

I don't grow bigger than in the 20 gallon size. Queens are in these are they are pretty tall (twice my height st least)

You might also consider bananas as they are quick and tropical and can be stored in the basement over winter.

I don't do

• r.l.c
    11 years ago

i had purchas my wind mill palms from ty ty i do not think i would purchas there again they arived in pore condition i could only save 3 fronds on each tree out of about 10 they tell me that they do not ship on the weekends but acording to shiping records they sat in a back room over the weekend i called them and was asked well what do you want me to do about it. should i cut off the remaining fronds and hope for the best i live in upstate ny i have a sago palm that made it through last winter with no protection at all the fronds died off i clped them and it came back beautiful i was amazed

• r.l.c
    11 years ago

i had purchas my wind mill palms from ty ty i do not think i would purchas there again they arived in pore condition i could only save 3 fronds on each tree out of about 10 they tell me that they do not ship on the weekends but acording to shiping records they sat in a back room over the weekend i called them and was asked well what do you want me to do about it. should i cut off the remaining fronds and hope for the best i live in upstate ny i have a sago palm that made it through last winter with no protection at all the fronds died off i clped them and it came back beautiful i was amazed

{{!gwi}}

• rkrasseltjr
    9 years ago

I transplanted a Thompson Yucca in late July. It was about 8 feet tall. I live in PA. Does anyone have any recommendations for trying to get it through the winter?

• PRO
    CT Palm Trees
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You can grow windmill palm trees, pindo palm trees, needle palm trees, and probably Med. Fan palm trees. These would all need some protection during the winter. Burlap, mulch, and maybe a light that gets warm enough to keep temps from getting TOO cold! You can also rent them seasonally. Palm Trees In New Jersey, New York, CT

• Chrissy Sheridan-Realbuto
    3 years ago

What type of palm is

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus