Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabulousyellow

Moved here last year, when to plant?

fabulousyellow
17 years ago

Hi!

My family moved to Atlantic County last summer from TX. I would like to begin some gardening projects with my 2-year old to show her where food comes from : ) but I'm not sure how long I need to wait. Is late March a safe bet for sowing seeds in pots on our screened porch? or should we wait longer? The winter hasn't seemed nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm not sure how long it will really stay cold around here. Thank you!

Comments (12)

• newbirdman
    17 years ago

Well we usually start planting veggies outside around the middle of April so the middle of march might be a little better for you . You have to remember that the warm ocean water keeps the air a little warmer during the summer so thats why its not to bad so far. But depending how close you are to the ocean , it will make the air cooler in the summer . Rick

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

You can certainly start sugar snap peas in March.

You can start larkspur now - start later and you might not get any.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

What are you looking to grow?

• ladychroe
    17 years ago

Our no-more-frost date (that's an official term:-)) is May 15th. So anything that is tender shouldn't be planted outside before then.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

But some veggies could be sooner depending on what it is.

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Head on over to the winter sowing forum; you can start your seeds outside now, in containers! I only have 28 so far; I should've done my tomatoes this weekend, but will try to do at night this week...

• mgosh24
    17 years ago

My suggestion would be that you contact Atlantic county's Cooperative Extension. If they do not have an extension there, then check out Monmouth County's Extension. There are Master Gardeners who volunteer on Garden Helplines in each of the counties. You can find out their hours, and most likely, with all the info you seem to be wanting, you could go in and get the information. The Extensions are through Rutgers Cooperative Extension. The best that I can do is give you the AC info I found on http://njaes.rutgers.edu/mastergardeners/helplines.asp

Atlantic 609-625-0056
    Monday - Friday
    9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
    609-625-0056
    Monday - Friday
    8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Hope this helps! Barbara

• figtreeundrgrnd
    17 years ago

Welcome to NJ. Well, as you can see...winter has arrived! 10 degrees here in Morristown!!! I think its safe to say that the weather pattern all over the country has been a little strange this year!
    Perhaps you can start some seeds indoors. There's a great 'Starting from seed' forum. They're very informative.
    J.

• fabulousyellow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone!

I think that I will get containers organized, and start sowing the last week in March (hopefully that will be safe). I mainly want to do tomatoes, cucumbers, & bell peppers on our porch. We have a fence around our property that I would love to grown some vine-y plants on -- maybe morning glories? But from what I've read about morning glories it will be awhile before they can go into the ground. Does anyone know if 4 o'clocks do well up here?

Thanks again for all of the advice!

• thorndncr
    17 years ago

fabulousyellow, my grandparents live in Ocean County, and their 4 o'clocks are beautiful. They have very sandy soil and do nothing special but water regularly -- as far as I know, not even adding fertilizer. The actual needs of this flower aren't familiar to me, but if your conditions are anything like theirs, they should be fine. :)

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

My Four O 'Clocks self sow and roots often survive winter here with a little mulch.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    17 years ago

My four-o-clocks do great. (I'm in MIddlesex County a little to the north of you.)
    Morning glories and moon flowers - I would definitely hold off. Where I live, I plant seeds around April/May and usually have blooms around August.
    Good luck, enjoy your gardening in the garden state!

ellen

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor