Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Buying seeds locally

Any suggestions of a place (preferably in central jersey area) that sells less common seeds?

example I want to buy some scarlet sage seeds, but there will be more- it's pretty expensive to pay shipping for seeds, esp since I only use a few.

thanks,

ellenr

Comments (11)

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

I don't know if Burpee has exotic seeds but this afternoon I just purchased several packets from a very large selection offered at Home Depot for 40% off.

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

There are a couple of vendors at the Phila Flower Show that have an extensive selection of unusual seeds. Also, try the Agway in Clinton, Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve, and J.L. Hudson (mailorder). Any other seeds in particular you're seeking?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Brock Farms in Colts Neck and Freehold and Becker Hardware in Colts Neck.

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

I always check every seed rack because you never know. Got ipomopsis at Home Depot. Ambleside in Hillsborough has a fairly la-di-dah selection, and Belle Mead Agway is near to that. Anyway I got salvia coccinea seeds from AHS, so email me if you are interested.

Lisa

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Oh, Lisa reminded me that I saw seeds in ShopRite last year too! And I know that Cost Cutters carries Burpee seeds.

• yelena
    18 years ago

I also check Dollar Stores. Last year I bought very rare heirloom seeds for 10 cents per packet. I stopped checking my local farms - they always have the same Burpee's seeds as Home Depot, Lowes or WalMart.

• minibite
    18 years ago

Hi Ellen,
    I know you are interested in finding uncommon seeds locally, but why not try ebay? I've purchased seeds this way before with a reputable seller, and obtained lots of seeds for cheap within a short amount of time without driving all over looking for them. Usually shipping costs are minimal and you can simply share the extra seeds or resell them.

Janine

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Scarlet seeds link

• woodlandpixie
    18 years ago

ellenr
    Whole Foods specialty supermarkets carries a good selection of less common seeds from a seed company called Botanical Interests. There is a store in Millburn, Montclair or Chatam. If these are too far north for you check the phone book.
    Pixie

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

If your ever driving around the Wayne area, Strawberry Blossoms has a few vendors including Thompson and Morgan. And Ferry Morse has a select line at Home Depot this year with a few offers that I've only seen in catalogs before. Also, I've seen SSE offered at our healthfood store Nature's Way on 23 in Pompton Plains. I haven't checked yet this year though but then that brand is around here and there.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

The Christmas Tree Shop has a great selection, better than any other rack around, in my opinion. Mostly Lake Valley Seed and Unwins, and are always 50% off the list price. I wait impatiently every year for the racks to come out. The first store in NJ opened a few months ago; it's in Paramus. But, I believe they're moving south and west, slowly, but surely. I just went to the one in Paramus NJ, but didn't go as crazy as I've gone in the past in their Spring Valley NY store. The NY store had a better selection and more seed than the NJ store :(

• BetsyBr
    17 years ago

There is finally a Christmastree Shop in Paramus? I am wild to go there. Cape Cod is too busy this time of year!
    Thanks so much for that info.

Betsy

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks