Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunt4carl

Springfest Flower Show, March 6-9

hunt4carl
16 years ago

Just a note for those who may not recall it (or never even

heard of it!) Sussex County's one-of-a-kind Springfest

Flower Show is coming up March 6th through March 9th (right on top of the Philadelphia Flower Show - when it rains, it POURS!). . .what makes this show so special is

it's relatively modest size, it's setting (in the huge

greenhouses and heated tents of the Sussex County Fairgrounds), some excellent smaller (but high quality) growers you will NOT see at the big shows, it's kid-friendly atmosphere (even inter-active stuff), it's VERY

reasonable cost (free parking, adults $9/seniors $7/kids

under 12 FREE!), and most unexpected of all, really good

food NOT at highway-robber prices! To put it simply,

a joy to attend - and you can come away with a trunk load

of great plants (as I did the year Atlock Farms was there!)

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Springfest Flower Show

Comments (8)

• classytchr64
    16 years ago

Thanks for the all info Carl. Wish I lived a little closer, because it sounds like a great way to spend time with the family while indulging our gardening addiction! The link you provided wouldn't load, so I put another link below. Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: Springfest Flower Show

• hunt4carl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Leslie -

Thanks for supplying the second link; don't know what I did
    wrong - maybe I just drooled on the keyboard thinking
    about Springfest. . .

Carl

• patsi
    16 years ago

WOW!!

Sounds like a great way to spend a day.Only one problem for me is that Sussex County is really far from my home in Atlantic County.
    But still may do it.
    Here's a map that may give others an idea where its at if they don't already know.
    NJ Map

Thanks for the info.
    Patsi

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Patsi,
    It is a very nice show but I don't think it is worth six hours of driving if it is the same as last year. But that is just my opinion. The Philadelphia Flower Show runs during the same time and is much closer to you.

• patsi
    16 years ago

Loretta,

Been to Philly Show a few times and it's nice.
    The one thing I like to get out of a show are IDEAS for my own garden.
    Only wish they didn't show flowers full bloom all 4 seasons at once for the garden displays ...Oh So Not Real.
    I know it's still enjoyable anyway.

My husband had a home in Sussex County and with fair traffic he says it takes about 3 1/2 hours.
    I'd hope it's different from Philly.

Thanks

Patsi

• horthead
    16 years ago

Hi, new to this forum... I've been volunteering at Springfest and really enjoy it. It's a non-profit show run by volunteers that love to garden. I'd call Springfest a mini - Philly.I think Ken Druse, garden writer once called Springfest a Philly wannabe ...the John Deere tractor of shows when compared to Philly being an 18 wheeler! The quality and emphasis on horticulture is apparent. The show is best if you take time to listen to a lecture, chat with the exhibitors (you actually can at this show... it's that intimate). I like that you can view the gardens up close - not over people lined up 5 deep like at Philly. It's set up different: the shops and services are tucked here and there throughout the show. The cafe was great last year! If you bring the kids they will love the treasure hunt. That about rounds out a few good hours. If that's not enough, you could stop in at the antique shops in Lafayette on your way home if you're into that...
    I missed the NJ show - how was it?

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I didn't run into a lot of traffic for this show and I did bring the kids. It is all in tents so it is bright and sunny.
    horthead, there is a thread on the NJ show. I thought it was bigger and busier than last year and worth seeing.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I did go on Saturday but had to leave after an hour. The rain was so bad and the roads started to flood that we were told to evacuate. They will be there on Sunday.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert