Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting From Seed

Posted by goodground z5-6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 0:22

Is it too late to order seeds? I'm gonna get some strawberry seeds, so I was gonna pick up some of their highly recommended tomatoes. I'm probably gonna order them tonight anyway, but I want to know if I still have time? I have a light indoors if needed to speed them along. This is my second year planting and it will be my first time from seed, so all tips are appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting From Seed

Almost forgot, what would be a good pot size for a seed to live for about 2 months without transplanting? Thanks

o

Just starting on the annuals for this year and did tomatoes seeds today. Wow it was nice out today a solid warm day.

ML

o

No, it's not too late as long as they don't hold up your tomatoes too long. The strawberries are perennial, so that is no problem.

o

I think you are suppossed to start in the seed starting trays in the soil-less medium and then transplant to a small container as they grow. It is my first time starting from seeds but this is how I understand it.

o

I am going to start my tomatoes in peat pots, nice big ones, tomorrow. My uncle got great results last year with peat pots under lights - he'd set the pots in a tray with dilute fertilizer when he needed to water them.

The old saying was plant them out on Memorial Day, but our springs have been so warm lately that two or three weeks before that makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here