Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Morganville Flower Farm

MissMyGardens
15 years ago

If anyone in Monmouth Couty is interested they're opening day is April 2nd.

I've never been but read some very good reviews on this forum.

Have so many seeds started I shouldn't need much except maybe a good sized Blue Salvia even if it's only annual here.

Who am I kidding...I could end up walking out of there with more if the prices are good!

Anyone from Bayshore area know if/when that little roadside plant seller on Rt. 35 north just south of Dearborn Farms opens for the season?

Comments (6)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Oh, I have been avoiding Morganville for years, but I may have to go this year.

I haven't been north on 35 in a couple of weeks, but the next time I go, I'll make sure to take a look for you. That stand definitely opens before Mother's Day...

• flattie_2008
    15 years ago

Anyone from Bayshore area know if/when that little roadside plant seller on Rt. 35 north just south of Dearborn Farms opens for the season?

Not from the Bayshore but they're not open yet. My guess would be early April, definitely right before Easter.

Dearborn right now has pansies, a smattering of tulips and daffs, fruit trees, and they just started to move out their shrubs from their winter hidey holes.

I'm on Molzon's email list and they're getting back to their regular swing either the last weekend of this month or the 1st weekend of April. Can't remember which one it was.

Relax - you've got a good two weeks yet before the cool stuff starts arriving. Now is a good time to inventory and purchase stuff like stakes, hoses, fertilizer, etc. so you're ready with all that stuff.

• MissMyGardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I want to talk to the ladies at that little Rt. 35 vendor to see what they think they might get so I don't have to start the seeds myself. I'm overwhelmed with seeds I already have to start. Sometimes it's just easier to buy a 4/6 pack of small things or find a satisfactory perennial for less money than you'd pay at nurseries.

If the plant provides enough nectar for butterflies or hummingbirds I try not to be fastidious about the plant's initial bona fides...as long as I don't detect anything wrong with the roots or pests.

Diane...I haven't been north on Rt. 35 since I had to make my last gardening run for the year in 2008...LOL.

I'm excited to see what they have at Morganville Flower Farm and if the prices are reasonable compared to others. I know I'm going to be weak and buy something just because it's beautiful or good for nectar even if I have to pay higher price...LOL.

I got turned off by Molzon's for two reasons. They delivered me 3 yards of sour mulch which you could smell a mile away. Didn't know what "sour mulch" was until I investigated further. Wasn't nearly as composted as needed and I naively bought most expensive kind. It took me 6 months of spreading it out on ground (nowhere near plants), watering it down and then spreading it again to get the "not normal" acrid, ammonia fumes out of it. The "head guy" was kind of obnoxious when I had novice questions but the ladies who work there are extremely helpful and patient...until that manager walks in and huffs them away. Not very good customer relations fostered by that guy.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Have you been to Colonial Nursery? On W. Front St., east of Middletown-Lincroft Road, just next to the GSP overpass. Nice folks, nice plants.

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

It would be disingenuous to suggest that Morganville Flower
    Farm was "cheap" (as in HD/Lowe's cheap), but you will
    absolutely find quality - and that, for me, outranks price.
    Their collection has often been eclectic , but interesting; the owner is always interested to hear my feedback about new introductions that are a novelty for him. Terrific herb selection (gorgeous, healthy young plants), plenty of veggies and a greenhouse awash with
    annuals, as well as a surprisingly broad selection of perennials (there ARE holes in the selection) which are
    offered in multiples, if you wish (buy 6, get 1 free!).
    I spend an enormous amount of time in nurseries and this
    is one of the most reliable, in my book. . .

• MissMyGardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Diane, I found Colonial Nursery on a fluke "nj plant nursery" search last year. Went over there and was happy to find patient, accomodating service. It's literally around the corner from my father's place off Phalanx Road. Their place is so neat, clean and organized when I've been there.

I bought an Astilbe 'Fanal" and another Aruncus aethusifolius there. The Aruncus almost disappeared late last year but I already see two tiny new green sprouts at crown. Don't see any new growth on Astilbe yet but it's early.

This was my first year overwintering perennials and sometimes I move the pine needle mulch aside twice a day to check for new growth if there's enough light AM & PM...LOL.

Carl, I'm disappointed to hear Morganville Flower Farm has the "buy 6 get one free" deal. I MUST exert some fiscal restraint! I need some Lantana, Pentas and Phlox for butterflies/hummingbirds. I got too ambitious and have too many other seeds to start. I know they're tender here so don't know if they consider them technically perennials or sell as annuals. Don't have a place with enough sun or protection from deer for Phlox paniculata so will probably just get Phlox drummondii to put in pots to hang on very tall shepherd's hook in sunny spot.

I do need healthy starts of some herbs particularly fennel so I'm ready for the early Black Swallowtail butterflies to lay their eggs. Will start my own seeds also but like to have early availabitity of fresh herbs until my seedlings grow...some not very well last year.

There were some fluffy snowflakes this morning which has turned to rain. Gentle reminder I have to be patient. Not my strong suit.

Leslie