Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT-Time to bring in bird feeders at night

Posted by njtea NJ Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 25, 06 at 7:03

Bruno visited last night and did a job on my feeders, (as well as a pile of rotting wood). I'd brought in the suet and one tube feeder to keep them out of the coon's reach, but I'll have to start with the others now, too.

This is the earliest that I've ever been hit - normally, it's not until mid-April.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT-Time to bring in bird feeders at night

I usually wish I was way out in the sticks until I think about the bears. I deal with deers in the yard by charging at them and yelling - have to be an utter berserker to do that with a herd of bears.

o

Well, I didn't chase him, but I did open the window about 10' from him and scream like an old fishwife. Hopefully, he won't want to have to listen to that again and he'll stay away for a while - although he certainly was in no hurry to get away - he just ambled off.

o

Can't do it NJTea. While I empathasize for you, the dozen or so goldfinch on the thistle feeders are turning. In but 5 short weeks, they'll be the ones bringing in the Rose Breasted Grosbeak to the nearby sunflower feeders (had 8 birds at the feeders for 4-5 days last year).

Hang in there. He's not going to "live off of your feeders". I'd be more inclined to batten down the hatches of your garbage cans.

All good things in all good time.

Ted

o

The goldfinches are enjoying the new thistle sock I had to buy yesterday and interestingly, Ted, through all the bear visits I've had here not once have they ever got into the garbage can.

However, Friday night's visitor was trying to get to the can I keep the sunflower seed in. He was standing on the ground in front of the porch, with his front legs through the railing and wrapped around the can like huge furry arms, trying to pull it to him.

They often traverse the yard and don't touch a thing. I know they've been here 'cause they take out the fence when they go through.

Susie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here