Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Rutgers plant sale- when

There are 2 Spring events in Middlesex County that I don't want to miss. I can't locate the link, altho I have before. If anyone can link me, or post when these events are announced, I'd appreciate it -

One is the Plant sale, which always features Rutgers tomatoes and peppers, also herbs. I think this one is not til May.

The other- I cannot think of the name - plants are sold, but also there are all-day events like dog show, pig viewing, other agricultural events, ice-cream making, I think this one is earlier, in April.

thanks,

ellen

Comments (11)

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

haha, I kept looking, and actually finally found the link in an old Gardenweb post: For 2008-
    Friday, May 9th, Saturday, May 10th and Sunday, May 11th - Friday from 10 am - 3 pm

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers 2008 Spring Sale

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

I have been waiting for this plant sale, never went before. Can any of you tell me how the prices are? Are they about the same as HD & Lowe's or cheaper?

Ellen, thank you for putting this up!!
    Daniella

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

I couldn't compare prices, as the plant material I bought was so unlike anything I've seen in any of the "big box" stores, or even my local nurseries, for that matter. I did feel, however, that the prices were reasonable and the plant material very healthy and of good size. Most of the volunteers working the sale were very knowledgeable, but those who could not answer my questions sought out someone who could.

One tip: Last year I saw one woman had brought along Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Perennials; I intend to do that myself this year.

Sun plants are laid out in the sun, and shade plants arranged under the trees, so it's not only clear what a plant's light requirements are, but how they'll look in that environment.

Be prepared for a long walk from the parking to the plants; although they do have a holding area for your plants and you can bring your car up to load it.

If you have time, you may want to stroll through some of the gardens there. I got lots of inspiration for my shaded areas in the Sun and Shade Garden. They usually have another event and sale at the Display Gardens in July, I believe. Below is a link to the map of the Rutgers Gardens ... you may want to download the PDF, print it out and take it with you.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of Rutgers Gardens

Original Author
    16 years ago

Daniella,
    You're in for a treat as this is your first time. I agree with Garden state of mind, there is a lot to see there. Do check out the gardens. And the people who sell the plants are mainly Master Gardeners, they have been thru a long course to become Master Gardeners, and so they are very knowledgable.

My advice - get there early, cuz it gets real crowded.

I have volunteered to help plant the little seedlings for the sale, and the soil is very good and the care is very good.

As far as prices, I generally find them a little bit higher than the big box stores, but well worth it.

enjoy!

ellen

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

Ellen, agardenstateof_mind, thank you both very much. Are we allowed to bring a wagon or something to put our plants in as we walk around? Sounds like it's gonna be great!
    Gonna have to print out that map!

Daniella :)

Original Author
    16 years ago

yes, bring a wagon! :)

ellen

• seafire1
    16 years ago

I went to the Rutger's sale last year. They had alot of variety and were very knowledgeable, but I really felt the prices were high. Afterwards I found alot of similar size plants at my local greenhouses and they were alot less. I'm talking a few dollors a container!!

I was also a bit disappointed that they DO NOT grow most of the plants there, they just buy plants from a supplier. WHAT is that all about??

If you do go, ABSOLUTELY bring a wagan or cart. Its a very long walk back to the car, but you can stack everything up by the road (after u pay for it ) and run back for the car..I had my DH go back for the car.

The garden were not in full swing, after all it was only May, meant to get back during the summer but never did.

Pam

Original Author
    16 years ago

Pam,
    I was under the impression they do grow the plants. I know for a fact that they grow at least some of the plants, cuz I was a volunteer, and I put the seeds in the pots, and later brought the pots to the sale. I can't say that is true for EVERY plant, but I did this for peppers and tomatoes.

So someone might go to the master garden page and ask.

ellen

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Some of the plants I purchased had tags from local (New Jersey) commercial growers, others did not. That doesn't bother me. Our Master Gardeners group has an annual Spring Garden Day at which we sell plants, some of which have been grown from seed by our own MG's, some are divisions from our gardens, and others are from local and reputable commercial nurseries ... we would never be able to produce the quantity, quality and size they can provide for us! We usually have a very nice selection of native plant material. All the plants we sell, however, bring in proceeds that help fund our various community service programs.

• David Christopher
    16 years ago

I thought the prices were high also. A few years ago I paid over $100 for a rare yellow rhodo, and it ended up dying on me for some reason (no good reason I can tell). What stinks is that if I had bought it at HD, for instance, I could have gotten my money back since they have a 1 year guarantee. I'm not promoting HD as a great place for plants, just that I was bummed my money was wasted on something that died quickly with no recourse to get my money back. I wouldn't buy anything expensive there again. The veggies are probably good.

The other event mentioned in the original post is the Cook College Ag Field Day event. They have plant sales there, as well as a host of other agricultural events. It's a great time for the whole family. It's always the last Saturday of April. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ag Field Day

• ten_steps_ahead
    15 years ago

bump

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!