Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Vegetable nurseries in New Jersey

Hi all,

We've had many threads about nurseries in NJ, but as I recall they were not predominantly vegetable nurseries. Or maybe vegies are sold in different places than flowers?

This is my first year (after gardening with flowering plants and herbs for 7 years) to be growing vegies.

So any suggestions about good places to buy vegie plants?

Particularly in or near central Jersey (middlesex county)

thanks,

ellen

Comments (13)

• yourpal
    15 years ago

They're not open for business yet but...

Dreyer Farm
    831 Springfield Ave.
    Cranford (Next to Union County College)
    (908) 276-1290

• ellenh
    15 years ago

For a huge selection of tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants along with some other stuff - try Cross Country Nursery in Kingwood (near Flemington). The really specialize in pepper plants and are also available by mail order.

• JArnold
    15 years ago

Close to your area is Miele Green House in Clark A good assortment of all kind of healthy plants at a reasonable price. Why do you not plant seeds? Most vegetable seeds germinate in less than 10 days. Lettuce, carrots and radishes can be planted April 1st. To get a head start, buy broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprout plants.

• aubade
    15 years ago

I'm just a newbie and haven't been to any of the other places suggested, but last year I went to Brock Farms in Freehold and thought the selection was pretty awesome. I got 3 types of tomatoes, jalapeno, cayenne, habanero, italian & orange bell peppers, herbs, cucumber, & zuchinni squash and they all grew wonderfully. I can also add that my friend who is a Master Gardener was also impressed with their selection. They have another location in Colts Neck too that I haven't been to yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://brockfarms.com/

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

Aubade - if you're looking for vegetable starters in the
    Freehold/Colt's Neck area, you should definitely try
    Morganville Flower Farm on northbound Rte. 79 (about 3 miles north of the Rte. 520 intersection). Also, on
    Rte. 524 (Elton-Adelphia Road), between Freehold and Farmingdale, check out Patterson's Family Farm, an authentic family farm, with really lovely folks.

Here's a link to the Cross County Nursery that Ellen
    mentions above - their selection will knock your socks
    off (and I'm a repeat customer for the past decade or so).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross County Nursery

• aubade
    15 years ago

Thanks. We are definitely going to check out Cross Country Nursery - my husband is a hot pepper freak, when I showed him that link he was in heaven! :-)

I'm also trying to find edible marigolds, ie. tangerine or lemon gem. (I need quite a few plants and don't have room to start them inside) I already called Brock Farms and they said they don't have them, so I will definitely check out these other suggestions.

• bigwuhead
    15 years ago

Another place you may want to check out is, Gasko's out in Monroe, NJ.

http://www.gaskosfamilyfarm.com/

They have EVERYTHING from flowers, trees to veggies and what not. And their prices are incredible.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

aubade, you may want to make a day-trip (or call or e-mail) to Well-Sweep Herb Farm, 205 Mount Bethel Rd, Port Murray, NJ. They show both marigold varieties (and 5 more) that you mention in their 2009 catalog (which you can download from their website).

• JerseyJohn61
    15 years ago

LIVINGSTON NURSERY
    Livingston section of North Brunswick.
    Just west of New Brunswick.
    How lane and Livingston ave.
    Nice wide selection of veggies and
    flowers and under new management.

• aubade
    15 years ago

WOW Diane, thanks so much! Well Sweep looks awesome! Oh, I can just see it now..bye bye paycheck. haha

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

JerseyJohn re Livingston Nurseries-
    I wonder if their quality has improved under new mgmt.
    I haven't bought vegies there, as I am new to vegie gardening, and I will give them a try, but over the past 8 years buying the occasional flower or herb, I have found their quality to be spotty.
    Not terrible, just not consistently good.
    there is also How Garden Center - a little further down How Lane from Livingston Nursery - heading toward Rt 27, same side of the street.

ellen

• jfchimy_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Check out Brushill Nursery, 592 Ridge Road, Monmouth Junction, NJ is year. They also have certified mushroom compost in bags and bulk. All their vegetables are grown locally. Many interesting varieties, including Asian vegetables.

• jfchimy
    7 years ago

I have grown vegetables for about for many years and the best sugestion I can give you is buy seeds on line and grow your own. There are many good seed companies that specialize in heirloom plants. Then collect the seeds from your your plants to use the following years. By using the best seeds from your garden you will develop a seed bank of seeds that will become best for your micro climate. Also, make your own fertilizer using egg shells, bone meal, blood meal, etc. Also, make a compost pile and get coffee grinds from a Wawa or other coffee place to spread on your garden during the winter. Earthworms love coffee grinds.