Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen64_gw

What will you get rid of/want to try?

karen64
18 years ago

I've taken it less personally when something does poorly and rationalize there is something else out there ready to fill its roots.

Thinning out:

monarda's (love them until humidity kicks in)

Penstemon (husker's red must need to be divided?

looks good for a couple years? Mesa kicked the

bucket just when I grew fond of it)

Phlox (the mildew magnets, some are better and still in my

favor.)

Salvia (technically they thinned themselves out upon dying)

Hostas? do they fair better in pots that you can move around?? mine are great until about July, and then they are miserable. maybe they need deeper shade?

I've moved towards shrubs as of late and special perennials.

LOVE: African Blue basil, verbena bonariensis, viburnum shrubs, miss kim lilac (in dappled shade)HYDRANGEA'S!

Must have roses, even if they are work

Comments (8)

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

I got rid of Monarda Bluestocking but am keeping Jakob Kline and Raspberry Wine. Spanish bluebell - very pretty flowers but leaves spread out and cover more delicate plants. Ditto Anemone Sept. Charm. Anemone ranuncoloides - it was supposed to be nemerosa - I wanted soft blue not chrome yellow. Purple spiderwort - never liked it. Calamintha and nepeta - thinned way out. Nicotiana alata - keeps coming up - one plant is enough, for the scent.

Getting rid of trumpet vine for six years now - a house wrecker. Actually I'm moved some away from the house to see if it will climb a pine tree. Too many pink roses. Why did I get so many pink ones? Would get rid of screaming pink spirea and forsythia if I could dig them up. Getting rid of a zillion Norway maple seedlings. Would kill six parent trees if I could afford too.

Want more - native azaleas, ferns, hostas, gingers, columbines, spicebush, tiarella. Want to try corylopsis, bamboo and new magnolias, candelabra primroses, rodgersia, fothergilla. Obviously need a damp garden. Want deep pockets. Want willing helpers. Last year I backed off garden greed. Reform short-lived.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Bishop Weed that's beginning to encroach & take over one of my garden beds.

• alisonn
    18 years ago

I just ordered some Itea "Little Henry" and some Hydrangea "Annabelle". I've never tried either one. People up here (Sussex County) don't have much luck getting hydrangeas to bloom. Annabelle is supposed to be more cold tolerant than most, so we'll see.

I bought some Bishop's weed last year, totally ignorant (until I got home and looked it up!) of it's invasive habit. From now on, I don't care what kind of whacko I look like, I'm bringing a perennial handbook to the nursery so I can look up interesting plants BEFORE I buy them!

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

Norway maples.... ugh. I have a huge one that I am getting limbed up and crown thinned this year. Hopefully it will help to get plants to grow under it.

Yep, yep, I want deep pockets and helpers, too. Especially after doing planning over the winter: I want new driveway, new pergola, new windows, new front yard and walkway and porch, Gardenia augusta Grif's Select or GARDENIA augusta 'Chuck Hayes' Gardenia, photinia red robin, MAHONIA x 'Charity', MAHONIA bealei, Hellebores: Lenten Rose Royal Heritage, Witch Hazel, Genus Hamamelis, MAGNOLIA grandiflora 'Kay Paris', HEUCHERA villosa 'Caramel', HEUCHERA americana 'Green Spice', CAMELLIA japonica 'Kumasaka', winterberry, viburnum newport, blue prince holly, bamboo, ferns, hibiscus, russian sage, lavender... to name a few. I am focusing on evergreens this year.

Got rid of two beautiful roses at plant swap this fall.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

Hmmmmm...

Getting rid of:
    Liriope muscari; they were controllable early on, but geez, did they spread! Too many unmanagable clumps lining the bed in the front of the house (maybe 10). I removed 3 last year and replaced with salvias. Much better ;)
    Rose of Sharon (lilac/red throat); really don't like it, never did, but I can't throw anything out. Will relocate to work ;) Already purchased a Hibiscus coccinea to replace it; yippee!

Wants?:
    I'm getting into red. I never liked red flowers, but since I'm getting more hummers each year (well, this will be my third year), I want to keep them happy. I've already moved alot of my plants around, last year, and moved other hummer favorites in. I'm already trying to figure out what else I need to move and what else I can fit in! I think my veggie garden may soon be a thing of the past; it's right next to my hummer area, so it's taking up some valuable real estate!

I want my Monarda "Jacob Cline" to become invasive!

I also wish I had some better areas for vines. I purchased a Coral Honeysuckle, but I don't know where I can possibly put it, that it'll thrive and climb.

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

I pull out every Ajuga plant I see, and have eliminated most. I also tear at any Tradescantia and it gradually weakens and dies. Both these plants, and especially the Tradescantia, have nice flowers but they grow too well here.
    The list of things I want to try is too big to mention, but I am ordering Stokesia 'Mary Gregory' and white flowered gas plant after losing these years ago. I also am planning to get Selaginella uncinata, while I may have to keep it in a shaded terrarium jar, and also the greyish leaved white flowered Dicentra, mostly for the foliage. I think this plant will be successful but not a pest here.

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

I tried the selaginella - lost it. No splashing stream side to keep it happy. A terrarium jar - hmmmm.

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

more wants...
    camellias from the April series
    aucuba (so mad that HD had them for $14 and all were gone when I came back to purchase)
    evergreens -- dwarf conifers, narrow columnar conifers, broadleaf evergreens, and ground covers -- esp any flowering evergreen (went out and bought 18 creeping phlox, 2 dwarf alberta spruce, 7 ice bog rosemary, 2 huecherra, 2 andorra juniper, varigated pachysandra, 3 japonica purity)
    skimmia japonica
    another azalea
    rhodies
    euonymus
    some plum colored evergreen that I cannot recall at the moment
    Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'
    Calocedrus formosana
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Lemon Twist'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis'
    Taxus baccata 'Amersfoort'
    Taxus baccata 'Highjinks'
    Thuja plicata 'Holly Turner'