Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID small flowering tree

Posted by mucknmire zone6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 9:09

I see a small flowering tree in bloom now covered with tiny yellow flower clusters all around the Princeton area. Does anyone know the name of the tree? It's definitely not brushy like forsythia - more tree like though it does throw shoots from the base of the tree. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID small flowering tree

Most probably Witch Hazel, Hamamelis crosses, an ornamental. Or spicebush, Lindera benzoin, wild wetland plant? Possibly corylopsis.

o

Thanks birdgardner. It's the lindera benzoin - checked your suggestions on google images. We have several kinds of witch hazel so I knew if wasn't that. Since the spicebush attracts swallowtail butterflies I am tempted to obtain a plant or two. I guess it's considered a bush or shrub rather than a small tree but I still think it looks like a tree. Thanks again.

o

Wow, spicebush is blooming in Princeton already? Mine is a long way from blooming and I've not seen any in bloom here in the North Branch area where I work.

The witchhazel is going strong - it was ever so fragrant over the weekend.

Could it possibly be Cornus mas? I don't have any but I believe it blooms late winter or very early spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornus mas

o

Hi njtea,
You had me going there for a minute with the photo of the cornelian cherry (cornus mas). But after looking at more photos of it (the fruit gave it away) I remembered that we had a couple of bushes in front of our old townhouse. It's definitely a spicebush. I just bought several bareroot plants because I liked the look of it so much. I haven't seen very many at all around the neighhood or neighboring towns but the Princeton U. campus has several nice specimens in full bloom. Apparently they come in several shades of yellow. Mostly the ones I've seen are a rich gold but there's one bush in Princeton that's a lighter yellow-green which is more to my liking but they are all quite striking and beautiful especially when there's not much else blooming this early. I also noticed that the magnolias on campus were just about ready to bloom and some of the stellas had actually opened a blossom or two.

Our witchhazels are past bloom, I too love the scent but the winterhazel is starting to bloom now with it's long drupe of flowers. Thanks for suggesting the cornus mas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here