Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseywendy

Good source of bareroot roses in Central Jersey (Monmouth County)

jerseywendy
16 years ago

Could someone please tell me if there is a good source for bareroot roses in Monmouth county? Preferably someone with a good selection. I am particularly fond of Austin roses.

I've made numerous calls this morning, but apparently it's still too early in the season, and nobody had any yet. Strangely enough Brock's Farm in Freehold told me they never carried bareroot roses, only potted ones, and I am pretty sure I have purchased bareroots there before.

Thank you all in advance.

Wendy

Comments (8)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Bareroot Wendy? No one that I know of. Only boxed and bagged (both of which should be treated as bareroots anyway) and potted (they'll show up in late April).

• jerseywendy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, boxed ones, those are the ones I'm thinking about. I've bought some before, and always remove them from the box and soak them in water for at least a week. I plant them weather permitting. :) I could have sworn Brock's had them last year and the year before. Perhaps I should have asked for "Boxed Roses" instead of bareroot ones?

Wendy

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Yes, ask for "boxed". I'm thinking that Costco has probably had them in for at least a few weeks now (I haven't been able to check, maybe on Saturday), they usually get their shipment in mid-February. The rest usually get them in sometime in March. Brock, Dearborn, maybe Becker and the big box stores carry them (off the top of my head...).

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

If you want Austins why not mail order from Chamblees in TX? They grow them on their own roots & have a lg selection of D Austins, as well as Dr Bucks & Earthkind.

• hunt4carl
    16 years ago

As long as you mean "boxed" roses - and not "own-root"
    roses, which is a whole other story - you certainly DID
    buy them from Brock's in the past, but in recent years they
    have shifted to "potted-up" plants (which gives a larger
    profit margin) and fewer boxed. Lowe's already has them
    out at their Old Bridge store, and Gasko's (outside
    Englishtown) had plenty of them at their season opening last weekend.

But I agree with "Ofionatcha": why not buy them on-line
    from any number of reputable sources - my personal favorite
    is Heirloom Roses (Oregon), from whom I've gotten some
    really splendid plants (which are also "own-root" !). . .
    they have well over two dozen Austin's, plus hundreds more.

A passing comment about Brock Farms: I live right here in
    their hometown, and given the remarkable diversity of
    nursery stock available in or near Monmouth County, you
    might be wise to check out some of your other options.

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses

• jerseywendy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both so much for getting back to me. :)

Well - I ordered 6 DAs from Chamblee's, which should arrive sometime next week (shipdate is 3-24). I've ordered Eglantyne, Abraham Darby (my favorite, I already have one of them), The Prince, Pat Austin, Portmeirion, and Golden Celebration.

Carl, I think Heirloom is done shipping roses. I just saw yesterday that they now offer Paul Barden's roses, some of which are a "must have" for me.

As for Brock Farms, I LOVE that place and visit them regularly, both in Colts Neck and in Freehold. We bought most of our perennials and shrubs from them.

Thanks again.

---
    Wendy

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Best are grafted on R. multiflora from Palatine Roses. I expect my big box o' joy from them next week. My box from Regan arrived sometime within the week, I have to open it tonight and get those sticks soaking...

• jerseywendy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Diane. "Big box o'joy"....lololol.

I'll give the ones I ordered my best shot, and if I'll end up disappointed, I know where to find some on R. multiflora now. :) Thanks, Diane.

---
    Wendy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?