Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butterflies out - mourning cloak and comma

Posted by birdgardner NJ/ 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 10:36

oh, spring is here, spring is here.

why am I singing, my back is aching from yesterday and it's raining today and I don't have that many flowers out and there is still a ton of work to do and the unskilled labor force (who have the misfortune to be related to me) is reluctant.

The wintersweet smells lovely in the rain.

Spring, spring, spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butterflies out - mourning cloak and comma

Definitely! It's frustrating though because I have been stuck working indoors with all this nice weather. Today I noticed Pieris Valley Rose blooming and Spirea Ogon is leafing out. I suppose the weather will dip and I will lose the bloom on Ogon again. This plant should come with a warning label. I never get a full bloom like the plant I saw at Fairweather.

o

Snow later this week (sob sob).

o

yeah, but we had another nice day today. I finished pruning the roses and blueberries, transplanted a lot of lamium to where my lawn has failed six years running - planning a new woodland garden there.

These days do spoil me for the cold and yucky ones but I feel like such a grasshopper - not there yet.

o

I, too, am working on a woodland garden this season!

o

What are you planning, Sugar?

I am trying for native azaleas and spicebushes, ferns, hostas, asarum, Virginia bluebell and mayapples. I have a couple small Magnolia virginianas sitting in a nursery bed. Fortunately I can do some major dividing for my ground layer, but I ordered azaleas from Lazy K Nursery, and I think I'll get the spicebushes from Flying Pig.

One potential problem with the new garden is Norway maple and crabapple seedlings. At least it's a little uphill from the maples. With a lawn or some attempt at one you can mow the things - hand pulling is not fun.

My husband and son - don't you think strapping men ought to be willing garden muscle? - have got to get the deer fence up.

o

I did see my first butterfly last weekend - your everyday white cabbage type. But now it is freezing again. We had snow today. I'm afraid my hydrangea macs are going to lose their terminal buds now.

o

I saw my first butterfly last weekend- a mourning cloak and yesterday I saw a flicker-my they are large! Now have 2 pairs of cardinals visiting the bird feeder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here