Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too early to plant grass seed.

Posted by joenate NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 11:07

A significant portion of my backyard is dirt, and needs to be seeded. Is it too early to put grass seed down now (mid March)? When is the ideal time to seed in New Jersey?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too early to plant grass seed.

The ideal time to seed in NJ is actually in the fall.

I recommend calling your local County Extension Office/ Master Gardeners; they will have plenty of information for you on this topic, including how to prepare the soil and how to choose the best seed based on your location, the amount of traffic the lawn will bear, and how much maintenance you are willing to put into it. There are new seed varieties out that require less fertilizer and less mowing.

They will also do a free pH test if you take in a small soil sample. A complete soil analysis at the Rutgers Soil Lab is $15 and you can buy your kit at the Extension office.

o
RE: Too early to plant grass seed

Here's a link that may be helpful.

What county are you in? I believe there are some programs around the state, sponsored by the Rutgers Cooperative Extension/Master Gardeners, on starting and maintaing lawns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Lawn & Garden FAQ page

o
RE: Too early to plant grass seed.

Fall may be best but anytime after the ground thaws out, The grass seed must be not dry out. water daily unless it rains, enough to keep it damp. It can take 14 to 21 days to see your results. Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here