Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

don't forget repellent spray for your shooting bulbs and buds

birdgardner
19 years ago

last year the little squirrel rat******** pulled up all my snow crocus and decapitated them. They could have just eaten the flowers but noooooo, they had to uproot them - and they don't eat the bulbs.

The rabbits like to get the tulip leaves when they are about 3-6 inches high (taking the bud inside) and the deer like to wait until the bud is a day or two from opening.

Repellent spray has made a huge difference - sometimes I don't even net the tulips.

Bulbs that are left alone: eranthis, tommy crocus, Dutch crocus, hyacinths, Spanish bluebells, allium, daffodil (although my neighbor once had hers eaten). Iris reticulata was sampled but not destroyed, bearded iris is left alone. Hellebore is my first bloomer and is outright poisonous and left alone.

Forsythia, dogwood and lilac left alone. Rhododendrons and species azaleas annihilated. Spice viburnum and blueberries sampled, doublefile viburnum and wintersweet left alone.

Happy gardening, and may your critters behave.

Lisa

Comments (5)

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

Every year the little treerats decapitate my tulips. I'd never even thought of spraying them. I'll have to give that a shot this year...

• mulchwoman
    19 years ago

What do you use to deter squirrels? They are a nightmare here in Metuchen. As bold as brass and you have to shout and wave your arms at them in order to get them to scat. I have had some luck with dried blood, but you have to replace it fairly often. I guess it loses its scent.

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have had success with Deer-off. This year all I have is Deer-out which is mintier and not quite as effective but so far so good. My snow crocuses are untouched.

I spray when I first see the leaves, and when the buds come up, and after a real hard rain.

If you try to spray the undersides of leaves (which you can't with snow crocus of course) the spray will be shielded from the rain.

I have been thinking of mixing the repellent with Wilt-Pruf, for a waterproof spray.

Lisa

• zcherian
    19 years ago

Thank you for posting this. I never thought of spraying the tulips. All my tulips leaves are already eaten by a sneaky rabbit. Do you think, these tulips will flower? What kind of spray? Do I have to just ask for repellent spray at lowes or home depot?

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

They might flower, if the bud was low enough not to be taken with the leaves. Not sure if HD or Lowes has the spray - I've had better luck with garden centers or mail-order. Deer-off and Deer-out are two brands - you want rotten egg solids and hot pepper as your basic ingredients. Smells while you are spraying but not when dry.

I am going to put up a deer fence this year but that won't keep out squirrels and rabbits. sometimes I drape netting over my bulbs but you have to lift it each day so they won't grow through the netting. After the buds open I just put the netting on at night until flowering is over.

It helps to keep your vulnerable bulbs close together and near the house.

Lisa