Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladychroe

Missing snowdrops and anenomes

ladychroe
19 years ago

This is my first year as a homeowner, and last fall I went bulb crazy! I planted snowdrops, crocus, daffodils, tulips and anenomes. The crocus have been blooming and they are such a joy. The daffys and tulips are on their way. But I haven't seen any snowdrops or anenomes, and those were the ones I was most excited about - I don't think I've ever seen them before. Has anyone else had success growing these flowers in Somerset County, NJ?

Also, I'm going to be ordering shrubs and seeds this spring. What are everybody's favorite catalogs and/or websites, or is there a good place in the Somerville area to go?

Glad to have found this forum! Lotsa good stuff here!

Comments (10)

• mprats
    19 years ago

I planted snowdrops last fall and they did come up and started blooming two weeks ago. Are you sure you remember where you planted them exactly?

• ladychroe
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep, I remember where I planted them - there's a large bald spot in the flower bed. I hear they are hard to establish. I'll try again next season; it seems like everybody here gets so much joy out of those little white flowers so eager to come up through the snow.

And maybe I should try NOT buying them at Home Depot next year. Hey, sorry, but we are new to the area!

My daffies are short, only 5" tall, but they have large buds on them already. Hope they're not jumping the gun, seems like mine are the only ones on the block with buds on them already.

Thanks anyway! And everybody, let me know if anyone has had success growing anenomes in Somerset County. The flowers on the package were so vivid and pretty.

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

go to NJ Botanical Gardens ( a nursery) on Duke Pkwy West, if they open this year. My all time favorite nursery. Small plants low prices unusual plants. try them in mid april

• Annie_nj
    19 years ago

A great place for shrubs is Fairweather Gardens in South Jersey. They general do mail order, but have a few open houses where you can wonder around their greenhouses. They are a little pricey, but have some very unusual plants. Save your receipts if you buy anything from HD, Walmart or Lowes. The mortality rate is very high.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

I have had a tough time with store bought snowdrops. This year I mail ordered from Brent and Becky and though I bought and planted very late - December - some have bloomed - galanthus elwesii and galanthus 'Viridi-apice'. I still didn't see any galanthus Flore pleno or nivalis but I haven't given up yet. If you read their site, they need to be planted late August, early September. They aren't bulbs that should be allowed to dry out. The bulbs I got from B&B were nicely packed, obviously cared for, showing healthy signs of growth.
    As for the short stems, that could be from too short a cold period from what I read. But daf stems will continue to grow with the flower bud, even after bloom in my experience. I have some tulips that are forming flowers right at the ground. They were planted late...
    I have had success with bulbs bought from Home Depot so don't count them out. I've even found some special varieties I had been searching for pop up there.
    Don't have much experience with anemones but you have to wonder about a plant that is for sale everywhere yet you never see it in anyone's garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent and Becky

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

BTW, all the snow drops showed up including Flore pleno and nivalis even though I planted in December so I highly recommend Brent and Becky.

• adlumia
    19 years ago

Hmmm...
    What did the picture on the package of Anemones look like? There are lots of varieties. The fall blooming Japanese Anemones are sometimes slow to get going then they are quite invasive and beautiful. Then there are the little windflowers and those memorial day ones with the black centers - both of these are harder to get going. The windflowers are always shown in pictures in great sweeps. However at the bulb farm in New Hope Pa (Muellers?) - where presumably they know what they are doing - I've only seen them in small patches. As for red and purple ones with the black eyes - I grew them many years ago in Maine. I think I had to soak the rhizomes and I mulched with like 15" of peat moss - They bloomed one year nicely - but never came back.

• ladychroe
    Original Author
    19 years ago

They were the red and purple kind. When are they supposed to come up?

"Don't have much experience with anemones but you have to wonder about a plant that is for sale everywhere yet you never see it in anyone's garden."
    Good point Loretta. To heck with 'em.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anemones

• axeman
    19 years ago

I bought some anemones from Scheepers bulbs. They've been blooming for weeks now, and they look great. Definately buying some more next year now that I've had some experience with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: scheepers

• sharpshin
    19 years ago

the florist anemones that ladychroe shows in her pix are not reliably hardy here. windflowers, anemone blanda are just fine but look like little daisies, and not at all like the tender types.