Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kblogger

Alternative to Rhododendron?

kblogger
14 years ago

Hello all!

I live in Southern NJ, inland, near Philly.

The back of my Western Exposure perennial bed has had several years of failed rhododendrons. When we first moved, there was a old woody one that I kept clipping back because whole branches would shrivel up & die, til finally I pulled it out, assuming there was some issue with it. I replanted with new rhodos, and lost one at the end of last year. The one remaining is not doing well. So... I'm looking for suggestions for an alternative.

The location is a Western exposure - however the section where the rhodos are planted is against the house, under a dogwood, which is shaded until around 4pm by a very large oak. The most sun it gets is after 4 when the sun is low, but in the summer, the daisies and phlox block most of that sun as well - so it really doesn't get much direct light at all - mostly dappled. It is protected for the most part from snow, and is a dry area of the garden - I do have to water regularly. There is a boxwood against the house that does well, and a cyrpress in that same section that does well (though it gets more sunlight).

I'd like to find something that is (in order of preference):

evergreen

blooming

not too tall (won't grow much more than 5 ft - that's where the front windows start) or happily trimmed

Really, anything that would come back each year, tolerate the drier & less sunny conditions would be wonderful, but I've a preference for green all year since its up against the house, and looks quite bare right now.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)

• classytchr64
    14 years ago

Hi kblogger,

I'm not a super experienced gardener, but I'm thinking acuba might fit the bill. It is an evergreen shrub that i've seen for sale at decent garden centers.

Do you think the rhodo failed because of lack of light? Only light after 4pm sounds like full shade to me.

Good luck. If you don't get much response here, maybe you could post this question on the cottage garden or evergreen forum.

Leslie

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

There are many varieties of boxwood available, with varying growth habits. Illicium floridanum thrives in shade, but requires moist soil. The hardier camellias would do well, but most eventually exceed 5'. However, they can be trimmed.

• sunnyd_2008
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest hardy camillia as well.
    I have one gets shade for most of the day, till late afternoon, then it gets some south/western light.
    Camillias have beautiful foliage as well, that I prefer to the rhodies.
    Check out the hardy camellia forum.