Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pianoboy

Mulch/Organic gardening supplies in Central NJ

pianoboy
15 years ago

Im a noob to this forum, thanks for everyone's helpful posts.

I live in Lawrenceville (Mercer County) and am trying to figure out what to use as a mulch this season. A few years ago I had a landscaper use wood mulch, and do not want to use this method again - I now do . This is not only for my perennial beds, but for a soon-to-be raised vegetable garden as well.

Has anyone had any experience using the free compost provided from the Lawrenceville environmental dept., or something similar in your area?

In addition, if anyone has any suggestions for good organic fertilizers/mulch in the Central NJ area (PA is fine, too) I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance, folks.

Comments (3)

• JArnold
    15 years ago

I wouldd not use wood mulch in my vegetable garden. It is better used around shrubs and perennials.

For vegetables.................Use the grass clippings from your lawn. The clippings can be used in the pathways between plants at any time. Use the grass clippings around tomatoes after the fruit has formed.

Two to three inches of grass clippings discourage most weeds and as a side benefit, fertilize your garden and keeps the clippings out of the trash areas.

• coffeeheidi
    15 years ago

Can I ask why no wood mulch for veggies? :-)

To make a long story short, the neighbors called the health department on us last spring because they didn't like all the shredded leaves we use for mulch and to create soil. (The previous owners asphalted the back yard, which the garden boxes are on top of. Other plants are growing on a bed of shredded leaves and soil.) We were required to either remove, or cover with mulch, all of our visible leaves. The inspector wouldn't listen to us trying to explain that we've been making our own soil with the leaves as well as using them as a natural mulch for the past 10+ years and have never once had the "rodent problem" the neighbors were swearing came from our yard rather than a local company's overgrown area the borders our property. Needless to say, this year, we're covering all the "fresh" leaves again rather than risk another "you could be fined if you don't comply" write up.

We don't have enough grass to use the clippings as mulch. I've done landscape fabric in the past, but forgot to lay it down this year.

Sorry the long-winded post. I was just curious why wood mulch, the only kind I can find locally, isn't recommended. :-)

• JArnold
    15 years ago

WOW! I thought Mercer County was smarter than that!
    I do not use wood chips because it adds nothing of nutritional value to the soil. I have also had an invasion of termites; Which only happened one time..I cannot image their thinking. Are the leaves gound up in little piences? And mixed with grass clippings? I have never seen a rodent in a pile of leaves. In wood piles, yes, but never leaves.
    I use the same method as you and in Ocean County it does not seem to be a problem. I am stumped!