Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzaner

What should I plant along LBI bay?

dzaner
15 years ago

I need to do some planting on the bay of LBI. I want good foliage color and summer blooms. The plants will have direct exposure to the bay all the time. I'd especially like something striking that goes wide but maxes out at about 4 feet tall. Also, will need planting around it. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• carol_se_pa_6
    15 years ago

Rosa Rugosa would probably do the trick. Check out the roses planted around Barnegat Lighthouse. If they can grow there, they can grow anywhere. I would see if you can find some grasses to go with them.

• JArnold
    15 years ago

How about using native plants. They adapt to your environment and need little or no care.
    Flowers: Black eyed susans (Rudeckia hirta), Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberose) or Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium purpurium or fistulosum)
    Shrubs: Low Bush Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium) grows about 1 to 2 feet high or Mountain Laurel (Kalmis latiflolia) which grows 12 to 20 feet high. I have a buttonbush (Chephalanthus occidentalis) and a Sweet Pepperbush (Clethra alnifolia) by the water on Barnegat Bay that are my favorites.

• bogturtle
    15 years ago

I like the native yuccas that flower at about 4 feet. There is another, around here, that flowers at 6-8 feet that I like less. If there are no kids or pets, Opuntia humifusa is native and spectacular for a while in early Summer. Goldenrod is native, does not cause hay-fever, but any showy flowers attract bees. Woodlanders sells a rare shadbush, perhaps from Nantucket,that, I think, would spread and stay low. Beachplum is classic but can get 8 feet high, and I don't like the look, except in bloom.I am unsure whether Kalmia would tolerate salty mists. Low growing junipers like J. conferta 'Silver Mist' could fill in around.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting