Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unitedmarsupials

Jasmine in NJ?

doofus
15 years ago

Hello!

I'd love to plant and grow fragrant jasmine around the property, but somebody told me, NJ weather is too harsh for the multi-year jasmine varieties...

Is that really true, or is there a frost-resistant strand I can buy, that would smell good for most of the summer and survive the winter?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (12)

• smord
    15 years ago

There is somethign called "winter jasmine" (Jasminum nudiflorum) that is hardy to zone 6, although I have no experience with it. Try Brushwood Nursery http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/

I have no experience buying from them, but they answered my questions pretty quickly, they have good reviews on Daves Garden, and they are based in Pennsylvania so they probably have a pretty good idea of what would survive a NJ winter.

-Sarah zone 6 (Morris County)

• tinylady
    15 years ago

Do you know about growing heather in NJ. I saw it at a nursery and was wondering about it.

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

The yellow foliaged Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise'(also called 'Frojas') does well for me outdoors. I'll have a rooted plant or 2 at the swap on May 3rd, as well as 2 varieties of Jasminum nudiflorum with variegated foliage which I've propagated.

• tinylady
    15 years ago

Does anyone know about planting heather? Or the other name is Heath? The man at the nursurey said it was what they grow in Nj, but I can't find anyone else growing it.

• shanthipavan
    14 years ago

hi can anyone give me jasmine, rose ,hibiscus or rose plants

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

Heaths and heathers do well in sun and well-drained soil. Sandy loam is ideal. Use google for mailorder sources.

• doofus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alright, so I bought a "Poet's Jasmine" (Jasminum Officinale) plant via Amazon here and it arrived hale and healthy and has already grown 30-40% bigger in the box it was shipped in while I'm waiting for the weather to warm up outside to plant it.

Would it make sense, however, to grow it in a (large) container instead? How big would its root-system want to become? I'd like to use a bowl or even a cask of some kind, so I can move the plant later and, perhaps, even take it into the garage November-March to help it survive the winter...

Any comments? Thanks! Yours,
    doofus

• vikireed
    13 years ago

I bought a winter jasmine, looked at it's leaves thinking it reminded me of something...did more research and realized that this is a plant that will only show small flowers for a short odd season and it is very invasive, like forsythia and burning bush. YOu're basically giving up yard real estate to it's sucker system forever if you stick this in the ground. I wouldn't do it if you don't have reams of property to play with.

• steve_nj
    13 years ago

Jasminum nudiflorum does bend down and root/layer itself. However, it's much more graceful than Forsythia. It hasn't been invasive for me. It flowers quite early, even in January or February of mild winters. There are also 2 variegated foliaged forms which do well for me.

• shelby_nj
    12 years ago

Have you planted Jasmine outdoors? I have two jasmine plants that I bought 4 years back from Home Depot. Summer I put them outside. They bloom profusely around July. But in the winter I have to take it inside. what fertilizer do we add? Also where can I get fragrant winter jasmine that I can plant outside? I am in Morris county.

• Nimisha Shah
    3 years ago

Anyone in NJ has had success permanently planting them outdoor? How did you care for it

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus