Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unitedmarsupials

Bird repellants of any sorts?

doofus
15 years ago

Hello!

As I was signing papers for the house last year, I saw birds eating fruits off of "my" trees. By the closing time a month later (early August), NO FRUIT WAS LEFT, although plenty of pits were lying around the trees.

I don't want the same story repeated this year, and would appreciate any advice on how to repel the birds...

The trees are fairly tall, so any netting would be a pain. Is there anything like ultra-sound, or particular light-pattern, perhaps? I'd rather it be harmless and only work on the intended targets and not on humans or pets, of course.

Do scare-crows work?

Comments (5)

• JArnold
    15 years ago

Fruit trees are a tough one. If your tree is the only one in the neighborhood, birds will strip it of the fruit. A net will work for the fruits on the inner branches but the birds will find the fruit on the outside. I have never tried sprays. Who would eat the fruit after being sprayed with a cancer-causing chemical? Then after each rain, you must spray again.
    My suggestion for you is to drive around your neighborhood and observe the plantings in the area. Then, visit your local nurseries and see what they offer. They will only market what grows well in your zone. If you are fortunate enough to live in an area which will grow tropicals in protected areas, go for it.
    If you tell us where you live, there are many people that live near you that can help.

• doofus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in Westfield, and the two trees in question are sour cherry trees planted by previous owners.

I'm a big fan of this particular fruit and am adding more such trees right now. But yes, I do believe, there aren't many more around, so birds must really like mine :-(

Someone suggested a use of a plastic owl and other predator-birds -- supposedly, the ones offered these days are fairly sophisticated and move in the wind (almost) like the real bird would...

Here is a link that might be useful: One of the fake owls on the market

• JArnold
    15 years ago

I grew up in a neighboring town and we had a sour cherry tree. My mother made delicious cherry pies. Everyone had a least one fruit tree; sweet cherry, apple, crab apple, peaches and/or pears. Some how we lost all that and fruit trees were considered 'dirty' because the fruit fell to the ground. Most garden centers sell only flowering fruit trees and many sell none at all.
    Two nurseries which come to mind that might help are Springfield Nursery on Mountain Avenue in Springfield which is a wholesale business but might have some ideas and Williams Nursery on Springfield Avenue in Westfield. I have seen trees at both places.
    Gurney's Nursery mailorder in Indiana offers bare rooted fruit bearing trees. I am sure there are many nurseries in the area and mailorder companys that have what you are looking for.
    Good luck.

• JArnold
    15 years ago

Today I saw real cherry trees for sale in the Lakewood Home Depot. I was surprised!

• newbirdman
    15 years ago

Adopt a few cats and let them roam your yard .

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery