Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilar

Lawn care schedule in central NJ?

gilar
19 years ago

Hi, I had neglected my lawn for the last few years while building up my flower beds and it is full of weeds and I get a load of crabgrass too. So I am planning to rennovate my lawn this year. I prefer to use organic products, but I may have to use some pre emergent to prevent the crabgrass. I know fall is the best time for seeding, but I found out that Scotts make a product that is a crab grass preventer and lets you seed at the same time. I am in Monmouth county. What would be the approximate dates for application of pre emergent and seeds for this area?

thanks,

Gila

Comments (9)

• njtea
    19 years ago

Gila, the "old timey" guide for preemergents is after the forsythia blooms and before the lilacs bloom. Seed, on the other hand, should be going down now, so it takes full advantage of the spring moisture.

Hope this is of some help.

• ladychroe
    19 years ago

Doesn't it need to get warmer before the seed will germinate? I live in Somerset county, and we are still getting frost fairly often.

Also, how established would the newly planted grass need to be so the pre-emergent doesn't kill it?

Christine

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

that's what i'm wondering - I'm in Somerset Co. too with clay soil and afraid the seed would rot so early.

LIsa

• njtea
    19 years ago

Lisa and Christine, the seed will sit dormant until the temps get into the 60's - which they are supposed to do later this week!!!!!

The frost/thaw process will help move the grass seed down into the soil. I've seeded on top of snow and, if the birds didn't get the seed, had fairly good results.

• gilar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the posts; NJTea, I saw one of my neighbors put down some seeds and saw a whole host of birds coming down on his lawn and I am wondering whether I should wait till the fall to overseed! The scotts stuff that allows you to seed (with the active ingredient called Siduron) is fairly expensive if you have a large lawn. Does anyone know of a similar product that is less expensive?

Gila

• ladychroe
    19 years ago

I had success last year by putting a layer of peat moss over the grass seed so the dratted birdies don't see it. It's easy to spread thinly and it's inexpensive, and it looks better than straw.

Christine

• gilar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Christine, thanks for the great idea! I have a couple of bags of peat moss in my shed from last year!

Now does anyone know how to get rid of creeping charlie and chickweed??

Gila

• njtea
    19 years ago

Creeping charlie - try a solution of borax (do a web search) or fertilize using Espoma's Plant Tone which contains boron in the proper percentage. It might take a couple of applications over a couple of seasons to start to bring it under control.

If you're not averse to chemicals, brush-b-gone can also help to control creeping charlie (ground ivy) - it might brown or yellow your grass for a while but should not kill it.

As I posted in the stilt grass thread, when I lived in CA, ground ivy was sold by the flat for $15 as a ground cover!

• johnwiberg
    19 years ago

Check with your County Extension service - they have fact sheets to guide you to renovate your lawn. They are listed under County in your phone book
    Good luck
    John