Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickster257

When will you begin to sow seeds

vickster257
19 years ago

in your vegetable garden for the spring season? Primarily, I am thinking in terms of fava beans(Broad Windsor) and Sugar Snap peas. The garden has been raked and ready for planting and more importantly---I AM READY!! But, one must remember that if the ground is too wet which it is here presently, and if the ground is too cold, the seeds will rot, so when is the proper time and temperature to get started? Any thoughts?

Vicki

Comments (7)

• mulchwoman
    19 years ago

Hi
    I will be planting my snow peas today (March 15). I planted them this exact day last year and they did really well. Peas like it cold. In a couple of weeks I will be putting out broccoli plants, then will wait until May for tomato plants and peppers, squash, etc.
    Good Luck

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

Mulchwoman - when did your peas start to bear? I didn't plant mine until mid-April, and it was probably the end of June before I had peas.

Lisa

• wardw
    19 years ago

I grow mainly sugar snap peas, the 6 foot tall type. Most years they go in between the end of February and mid March. If your soil is too wet you could rake in a couple of inches of loose soil from your paths which will raise and warm your pea row. June is pea picking month in New Jersey, my sugar snap peas will often continue to produce into July if the weather stays moderate. There are super early varieties that might be ready in May, peas with a pick date from emergence of 60 days or less, but I haven't tried them. This would also be a good time to plant lettuce.
    My German neighbor used to grow fava beans or broad beans. As I recall they are another 'beat the heat' plant and will germinate in cold soil, and I think they must be harvested before the dog days begin.

• tylers_mom
    19 years ago

I am thinking about starting my seeds in the house this year instead of buying plants. Tomatoes Peppers Zuccini, Eggplant and some herbs. Am I too late????

• wardw
    19 years ago

Go for it! A set of heating cables or a heating mat would help to get you off to a quick start, but even without them you should be OK. You'll have smaller plants, but don't be surprised if yours catch up with the rest ours by August.

• fivenot2many
    19 years ago

I just put my sweet pea seeds in their little starter trays and I bought a grow light on e bay to help them get enough light so they don't turn to leggy..also I started my Begonia tubers ...and freesias...one thing I had trouble finding was a grow light in the nurserys around here..I evenually took my search to E bay...let's see what I get when it arrives next week...alot of them were very pricey!!!

• carlanne
    18 years ago

Vickie, thank you for the tomato plants. I have lost your number. Please contact me at lakepaola@att.net. Anne.