Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiiancutienj

Any Apartment Gardeners?

Hawaiiancutienj
19 years ago

I live in Jersey City and would really like some tips on how i can fulfill my garden urge in an apartment? i am thinking window boxes so what plants are great in window boxes and I would also like to grow tomatoes in a container, like cherry tomatoes, is that possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• ladychroe
    19 years ago

I've never tried it myself, but I've included a link to a site that shows you how to grow tomatoes upside down. The only thing is that tomato plants are huge and need a lot of sun or they don't bear much. Maybe you could hang it out the window of your apartment!

Has anyone heard of a miniature tomato plant? I seem to remember seeing a catalog advertising small strawberry and tomato plants that came with a kit to grow upside-down (I remember being shocked at the price, tho!)

I guess you could plant anything small in a window box as long as you get 6 hours of sun a day. Otherwise just do impatiens, they don't mind the shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes Upside Down

• tylers_mom
    19 years ago

If you have a small deck or even a fire escape you can grow any kind of tomatos in a large pot. My Dad does it on his deck every year!! When I plant my garden I plant a tomato plant in a pot for him. He always gets tomatoes! Best of luck!

• koniferkid_nj
    19 years ago

If you want super mini tomato plants you might want to try and look up Totally Tomatoes in South Carolina.I have been getting seed there for years.Some unusual varieties such as
    "Micro Tom"- 4 inch high full grown tomato plant with small pea-size tomatoes[great in the middle of winter]I have about 20 different varieties of tomatoes growing right now
    under shoplights. The micro tom was specifically developed for growing indoors and they taste pretty good. You can grow these in a windowsill. Very easy.

Hope this helps,

Koniferkid

• billhoo
    19 years ago

I've grown regular beefsteak and big boiy tomatoes out of 1x1x1 foot plastic garden pots. The tomatoes get to a good size - perfect for sandwiches. Did this for 7 years before the homeowners association caught wind of it and threatened me with violating the code on illegal plants.

My "garden mix" was 50 percent potting soil, 25 percent cow manure (already aged and premixed from Home Depot) and the rest was crushed eggshells I had collected throughout the year (this is a miracle fertilizer!), the rest was vegetable scraps from the kitchen, grass clippings, peanut and pistacio shells and any organic vegatable matter I could think of.

People at work were amazed at the tomato and peppers that I brought in. They couldn't believe these came from a container garden.

Water every day - twice in dry weather. Put stakes in the pots so that the tomato vines have some support to grow up on. I usually tied the vines off onto the patio railing.

When tomatoes get heavy, they need the support.

NOTE: I tried cherry tomatoes grown from seeds I got from a salad. These things seem to need more water than regular tomatoes and when they ripened during one of the drought years, I caught the squirrels eating them all off the vine!

-Bill_H

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths