Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarakim_gw

Need suggestions for growing a natural fence

tarakim
19 years ago

We have a very small yard. The community regulations limit everyone to a 4' fence. The only problem with this is that our neighbor has a pitbull mix dog that jumps the fence regularly. We have a small child and want to plant something along the chain link fence that will make it undesirable for her to cross the fence into our yard.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a plant that will create a natural barrier? We need to take up very little space as we have a small yard and it needs to be child friendly. Also, the space does not receive a lot of sun.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

How about a varience? Do dogs jump 6 foot fences? They dig under them, I know...this is a tough one.

Anything that I can think of that isn't dog friendly isn't child friendly either but it would help to know a little more about your space. What are we talking about here size wise and what kind of shade/sun is it? Any direct sun? Soil conditions?
    Really, if the dog isn't child friendly, no fence is real protection, especially if it's the type of dog who likes to escape. What happens when the dog jumps the fence? Is it aggresive or social? Are you afraid of it only because it's part pitbull (which would make me nervous too)? What does your neighbor say?

• Annie_nj
    19 years ago

Have you talked to the neighbors? If a dog gets out regularly, it should be chained within the yard. If the neighbors are unresponsive, I would contact my local authorities and see what can be done. A video tape showing several escapes over a week would be very compelling evidence. A pitbull mix would make me very nervous too. What are your community rules on escaping dogs?

A honeysuckle makes a nice thick barrier, and you could add some trellis to let it grow taller than the fence. Try to find one not invasive. Thorny climbing roses should also work well. Children learn very quickly to avoid thorns.

• yourpal
    19 years ago

Our town has the same kind of variance. One thing you can do to work within the variance is to build up a berm on your property and install the 4 fence on that. The dog would have to climb the berm and then jump over. I'm not suggesting anything to plant because I'm figuring that a determined animal would pass through any planting.

• lil_louis
    19 years ago

One thing that even a pitbull wouldn't get thru is multiflora rose. Sharp, curved thorns that seem to be ideally designed for ripping flesh. However, it is terribly invasive -- and that's how I have my experience. It's all over a wooded section of our property and my flesh (not to mention clothes) have been torn by it a number of times. Rutgers lists it as a plant pest, and used to say the best way to get rid of it is backhoe. I don't know of any plant that'll keep a vaulting dog out. Maybe a really big Venus flytrap?

• ladychroe
    19 years ago

I found the perfect plant to keep dogs out. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1059784}}

• tylers_mom
    19 years ago

Multiflora rose would be very dangerous for a small child!! I don't have any suggestions that would be affordabe or that would work on the dog, but you really should film that dog and complain to the township ASAP. NO dogs are to be trusted around a small child!! Even the family pet, pitbull or otherwise.

Maureen

• bogturtle
    19 years ago

It's all a source of humor, and I get it, but really, I think you will have to pursue the ordinances you have locally. Then, I suspect, you will be chided for being a bad neighbor, when just the opposite is true. Even if you were to be able to establish a hedge quickly enough, I agree that the plants that would stop a dog would be very bad for a child. There is a spiky, hardy orange, as an example. If you can afford it, get a fence. How about secretly provide the dog with so many treats, he or she would have trouble walking, nevermind leaping a fence.
    Who would blame you if the little rascal earned a special place in your heart. You can see why they don't let me out much.

• Annie_nj
    19 years ago

I respectfully disagree that roses are very dangerous for children. Children, and hopefully dogs, do learn extremely quickly what hurts, and how to avoid it. I have two very active boys, and they have never had a problem with avoiding prickly plants. That said, I do not care to have catus or yuccas in my yard, more for my self preservation than for my kids.

Yuccas may be your answer, they are prickly, grow quickly, and people may give them to you for free. To keep children out, grow a small border in front. Kids can also learn to keep out of the flower beds.

• tylers_mom
    19 years ago

Sharp, curved thorns that seem to be ideally designed for ripping flesh.

Annie, while all roses are not dangerous, she said she had a **SMALL** child and when I read the discription, I thought of my 9 month old falling into that, but then, I'm a little over protective :) just a little :) Well ok, very much so! LOLLOL

Maureen

• ladychroe
    19 years ago

I have to agree with Annie here... kids are smart enough to learn to avoid thorns. Not only that, but any plant's potential for harm is dwarfed by what a pitbull could do to a small child. I remember one story where a child was reaching thru a chain-link fence and a pitbull on the other side tore her arm off at the shoulder. I know that's graphic, but she's supposed to be frightened of a few thorn scratches when there is a PITBULL coming into her yard?

• tylers_mom
    19 years ago

Ok, Ok, Lady and Annie, you are both right!! I'm a first time older Mom and I'm just afraid of everything! LOL The dog is the biggest threat, I know that, I'm just a little paranoid.
    Sorry to have steered this thread a little off course.

M

• nodivision77
    19 years ago

too bad we aren't in a warmer zone. Bouganvilla...

maybe...espaliered pyrocanthus....

• a_rambler_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

You are in your rights to shoot the dog, next time it jumps the fence.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living