Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ermazi

Prunus mume, why do not we grow them in NJ?.

ermazi
15 years ago

Prunus Mume(æ¢ï¼is a well known flower in China and most people in China think Mume is better than cherry. But, it

is not that common here.

However, Mume can grow well in NJ with in Zone 6. The attached pictures show the Mume at my front door. It has been put there for 3 years without any protection, and it gives earliest red flowers each spring, as in the picture taken 30 Min. ago.

Comments (6)

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

According to a write-up by the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, this worthy little tree has long been overlooked and is not easily found in nurseries.

Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it, but now that I have I will be looking for it! Thank you ... I think.

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

I have two flowering now; a pink and a very light pink. The latter is a weeper.

• ermazi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a few species, including a weeper.
    However, the species in the picture is a good one,
    early flowing, dark pink color and smelling good.
    It is relatively a large species, can grow to 10X10.
    Another good species I have is small, little later
    than the one in picture.

Both are "smuggled" from China by one of my friend's friend. 8-) I do not know how duplicate them.

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

Again referring to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden website, the following is from their article on this lovely little tree (link to entire article is below)

"Propagation
    Prunus mume species may be propagated from seed extracted from ripened fruit. Stratify in plastic bags filled with a moist mixture of one-half milled sphagnum moss and sand for three months in the refrigerator, and then sow outdoors in spring or in the greenhouse any time of year.

For cultivars true to form, you'll have to propagate from softwood cuttings taken in early summer and kept misted. Prunus mume can also be grafted by T or chip buddings with buds from soft or semi-hard wood onto the more available purple leaf plum, Prunus cerasifera, understock.

Prunus mume will flower in three years from seed and in two from grafts. The tree grows quickly when young, three to seven feet per year, except for the contorted varieties which are slower growing."

If you take and root cuttings, ermazi, may I be one of the first to offer you something in trade? ;-)

I've been checking online and found very few nurseries that list this plant in their inventory.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBG article on Japanese Flowering Apricot (prunus mume)

• bogturtle
    15 years ago

I agree that they are quite unknown to most people.
    I bought mine from Forest Farm in the Pacific northwest.
    Fairweather gardens near Greenwich in Salem County has a spectacular specimen and may list some for sale.
    fairweathergardens.com

• ermazi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Garden...

I will try root cutting first. If they grow
    I will give, not trade, them free. You are obviously
    IS the first on the list. 8-).

I know it has fruits every year, eatable but not good tasted,
    but I never think of sow them. If you want, I am pretty sure
    you can have seed.

Sponsored