Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_magnolia_gw

Training the path of a climbing hydrangea

sugar_magnolia
18 years ago

Does anyone think it is likely that I can train a climbing hydrangea to grow on the ground around the circumference of my 12' round pool (circumference is ~37.5')? I am wondering if I can place stakes to train the path. Assuming I could, is there any reason that I would not want to do this?

Is growing one on a chain link fence a good idea?

Also, is growing a climbing hydrangea on a pergola (20'x10') a good idea? I thought I could grow it up one column, across the "roof" beams and down the other column.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

I think it would look better on the chain link.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

I have one that's finally ready to leap after latching onto one of my 80' oaks this spring after 3 years of planting for that express purpose.

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have a huge Norway Maple that I would love it to grow up but Steve said it probably would not thrive. To his point, one of the two that I have to relocate is under the canopy of the NM -- a good 15' away or more and after two years it is still not thriving. One I have planted on my chimney that gets a good amount of sun is doing splendidly.

I can't find much info on growing them on the ground but this may be my only option.

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

Why not keep one on the chimney and one on the fence. Consider getting an 8 foot pressure treated pole or 6 by 6", sink it 3' in the ground, and grow it up that.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Just don't forget the maintenance issues of growing it on the chimney. Is it masonry in good repair?

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think the masonary is OK. We bought the house 2yrs ago and had everything inspected. On the other hand, my house is over 100yrs old -- as is the chimney most liekly.

I have 3 climbing hydrangeas and the one on the chimey will remain there. As for the other two, I am now thinking of growing one on a 20' pergola that we are building this Spring and the other on my swing -- one of those wooden swings for two that hangs from a wood frame. Good idea or bad?

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I know the vine on the chimney will look great but consider the roots will widen any cracks in the mortar (which is the strength of a brick structure) and also add weight to it (which can cause stress cracks). One symptom of things gone wrong is water damage inside the house.
    Also, if the brick needs to be repointed in the future, the vine will have to come down.
    Not to rain on your parade or be patronizing - just a buyer beware warning. (I use to be involved with this kind of repair).

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I will hope for the best. I really want the hydrangea on the chimney.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I don't blame you. It will look great.

• tinylady
    17 years ago

I was wondering , where did you find your climbing hydrangea?
    I want one to plant on my back fence. I asked my nursery guy and he said that he has them once but they were exspencive.I did ask him to call me if he got any in.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

I'll have a few varieties of climbing hydrangea at the swap.

• sugar_magnolia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I bought mine at Home Depot. I've also seen them at Lowes.

• tinylady
    17 years ago

Thanks --- Sugar.

I will see if thay have any.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists