Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Bald Eagles in Hackensack!

tracey_nj6
17 years ago

In the Bergen Record, they showed a picture of an Eagle and a Hawk flying. Oh, how much I need to see them! I've only seen bald eagles in captivity; Van Saun Park and DC's Metro Zoo. I'm dreaming of the day when I look up while gardening and see one or both of these beauties flying overhead! I've also heard there's a few in Overpeck Park in Leonia, but that's not 100% confirmed yet.

Sorry if this has nothing to do with gardening; I'm just thrilled to have a pair of eagles just a few minutes from my house!!!!!

Comments (12)

• njtea
    17 years ago

Tracey, you might find the NJ DEP report linked below interesting. On page 18, you'll find a winter count of NJ Bald Eagles!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bald Eagles in New Jersey

• wardda
    17 years ago

There are at least 57 nesting pairs of Bald Eagles in New Jersey, and probably more. While more than half of those nests are in Cumberland and Salem Counties more and more pairs turning up in more urbanized areas. It you take a ride down the roads of Salem and Cumberland Counties, especially roads which dead end into the bayshore or run along the marshes you will see their huge nests - they are quite easy to pick out.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

That's neat! I see a lot of hawks but haven't seen a wild eagle in NJ yet.

• njtea
    17 years ago

I forget where you are Loretta, but take a drive up to Merrill Creek Reservoir in Warren County. From the parking lot off of Fox Farm Road (Harmony Township) you can see the eagle sitting on the nest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Merrill Creek Eagles

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link. I'm in Morris County. Merrill Creek is less than 1 1/2 hours away according to mapquest. My sons would like that.

• bogey123
    17 years ago

On a recent trip to Florida we had the chance to see a Bald Eagle perched in a tree in the Everglades - they are amazing animals.

If you want to see ones up close go to the Raptor Trust in the Great Swamp (close to Harding and Basking Ridge), they have a few there that are very special. You can get within about 15 feet of them.

• njtea
    17 years ago

If you take your sons, Loretta, don't miss the Visitor's Center.

• aman17
    17 years ago

I know it's not in NJ ,but if you want a real thrill take a ride up the tpke in maryland,about a two hour drive and it's called Conowigo Dam.There's about 150 eagles there right above your head in the trees.I shoot wildlife and birds.and it really is a site to see.There actually there from Nov. to January.To watch them go fishing ,thats diving after the fish and then fight over it is a thrill by itself.It's well worth the 2 hour drive.It's in the town of Havre DE Grace.

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for that link njtea. It was very interesting; I can't wait to see the 2007 update.

aman17; as much as I hate to drive, I just might consider that trip. It sounds thrilling!

The adult actually did a flyover my house on Saturday, at 5pm! I heard some strange sounds and noticed 3 seagulls flying behind a large bird. I kept my eye on it, thinking to myself that it was just those darn red tailed hawks that occasionally kill birds in my back yard, but the seagulls surely wouldn't have been THAT close. Sure enough, once it got closer, I saw the white head and tailfeathers. I couldn't take my eyes off of it, but when it turned, I ran in the house to get DH; I needed a witness! Naturally, he was in the shed and I twisted my ankle running for him, but I'm sure I'll see it again. And I've got to remember to bring the camera outside with me, at all times!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

My son's cub scout troop did the Raptor Trust this winter. We took an unpaved road to get to it. Otherwise, I would have never known it was there. But they have quite a setup there and a dedicated group of volunteers taking care of these rescued birds. There is a small gift shop and a small visitor's center. Not sure if the visitor's center is open all the time though. It doesn't take long to go through it.
    Aman17, by "shoot", you mean pictures, right?
    Tracey, don't forget to post pics if you get one!

• bogey123
    17 years ago

If anyone is interested in the raptor trust I can post directions, we take our kids there a couple of times a year and its always interesting. I have never seen so many turkey vultures in one place (they hang out in the tops of the trees there).

• jeffreydv
    17 years ago

I work at the Teaneck DPW and see the eagles almost everyday, they are a sight to be seen.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus