Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbib_gw

Buying hellebore

bobbib
18 years ago

Does anyone know of a nursery in Central NJ or near Bedminster to buy hellebore plants?

Comments (11)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Atlock is cash and check only, no credit cards.

• njtea
    18 years ago

Leaping Lizards in Basking Ridge might have some - I don't know if they are yet formally open, but if the weather is good over the weekend, I'll bet they will be.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

If your into a day trip, Fairweather Gardens will be having their open house of the season on 3/17 and 3/18. There will be hellebores there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairweather Gardens

• bobbib
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all.
    I'll ask my daughter if she is near Atlocks. I think a trip to Fairweather is out until after the hellebore are finished blooming and I want to see their color.

If anyone sees any in central jersey let me know.

• bobbib
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went to the Sussex flower show today; Atlocks had a booth and they had hellebore. I now have two pink and a white and I'm a happy woman. Thank you all.

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

Are you in The Hills in Bedminster? We lived in Crestmont Highlands for about 10 years. We just moved to Hamilton nearly 2-yrs ago when our daughter graduated HS. I loved Bedminster and the SOmerset Hills area. We decided we wanted a historic house and they are affordable down here -- my house would have cost 2-3x more in Bernardsville -- and with our daughter out of school we did not need to worry about the school system. I am glad to have this big old house, but I miss the Bedminster area sometimes.

• bobbib
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sugar magnolia, my daughter is in bedminster and it is beautiful but gardening is tough there with all the deer. I also have a son in hamilton township. There are some great old houses in hamilton. It must be fun to start a new garden to go with a historic house.

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

Yes, the gardeing has been great fun -- we had a planting bed about 5'x8' in Bedminster, so by comparison, we are on a .125 acre farm here!

I used to feed a doe bread at night in Bedminster; the deer never ate my plants but some of the neighbors complained.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

We did end up going to the openhouse. There wasn't as many hellebores as usual. My relative did pick up a nice violet one in bloom.

• mprats
    18 years ago

Last weekend the Home Depot on Hamilton Blvd. in Piscataway had white & purple hellebores for $10 each, I could not believe the price. They were decent sized and in bloom. I remember paying $40 for a similar sized plant at Marder's in Southampton, L.I. several years ago.

• dukegg1
    18 years ago

I picked up a nice white hellebore at Home Depot down here in Gloucester County, too. A few were ratty looking, but some were pretty nice. $9.95 for a gallon container.