Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

Phila Flower Show

steve_nj
17 years ago

The show features flower bulbs in abundance as well as plant entries, plant society exhibits, and commercial area.

Dracunculus vulgaris:

{{gwi:1060166}}

Monkey puzzle with groundcover of Alocasia 'Polly'.

{{gwi:1060167}}

Longleaf pines (p. palustris) in outdoor planters outside convention center.

{{gwi:1060168}}

Comments (10)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Check out the dinosaurs. Nice, are you working? displaying? The show opens tomorrow and you have pics today.

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm a PHS member, which includes free tickets for the members preview on Saturday. After the show, stop to buy food or eat at the Reading Market, about a block south on 12th St.

• wardda
    17 years ago

My friend Ann's exhibit with the Moorestown Gardening Club came in 2nd this year. I hate to admit it, but there is very little chance I'll be able to get over to see it.

Anything interesting in the plant sale section - sometimes they have a few goodies.

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

We went yesterday in the snow, and it was not crowded at all. The show was very enjoyable, but I did not see anything that really wow-ed me. I wish the displays would show more than the standard plants, and instead showcase some of the newest and greatest selections. I saw way too many ostrich ferns, and the same 3 hosta varieties. I was happy to see a Yellow Polka Dot Bikini Hosta. I did write a few things down, and loved seeing things I already have. We walked the vendors, as it is always fun to see what there is, but didn't buy anything.

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

My fellow gardening friend and I followed our usual routine
    last Monday at the Flower Show: we arrived just as it opened at 10:00am, and then staggered out of the Convention Center around 8:30pm. . .we both agreed it was
    somewhat better than usual, but still haven't gotten very
    comfortable with the "shared" focus - about half of the
    displays are the veteran nurserymen, and the other half,
    in recent years, have been the "floral designers" (i.e.
    the folks who design those lavish, over-the-top parties
    with a King's Ransom worth of flowers!) Apparently, they
    needed the new "flash" these floral designers bring, and
    judging from the comments I was hearing around me, many
    folks were appropriately "blown away". . .IMHO, much of
    their work was unbelievably tacky. . .but a couple of the
    designers this year redeemed their entire profession with
    some truly imaginative uses of cut flowers in a garden
    setting. Who knows: maybe others will follow their lead?

As always, some of the work in the competitive section was
    simply jaw-dropping. . .while I am strickly an "outdoors
    gardener", I have nothing but admiration for the discipline and dedication of this group. The huge marketplace is strictly commercial, but fun to stroll
    through - it's certainly NOT a place to buy garden items
    which can invariably be purchased elsewhere, cheaper and
    better quality. . .my one big exception is Lee Valley:
    each year, I bring my cumulative list of items that I've
    earmarked in their catalogue during the prior year and
    order them there at their booth - you get FREE shipping
    by doing that!

One of the perks of being a Pennsylvania Horticultral Society (PHS) member (aside from the fact that my Dual
    Associate membership includeds two free Flower Show tickets each year that almost covers the complete cost of
    membership!) is the wonderful Member's Lounge, just off
    the Convention Hall floor, where you can periodically
    retreat for peace-and-quiet away from the hordes and enjoy a complimentary cup of tea or coffee, in a comfortable
    armchair! Another bonus of membership is access to their
    list of fascinating tours and worksops (at a reduced fee) -
    for example, just two weeks before the Flower Show opened,
    I got to tour Meadowbrook Farm's greehouses (owned by PHS)
    and saw many of the plants being grown for the Show,
    including the component parts of that "living wall" you
    passed through at the show's entryway. . .fascinating!. . .and last summer, there was a tour of eight private gardens in Buck's County that was
    unbelievable. Then, there's the PHS library, the plant
    folks you can call anytime with questions, the discounts
    at many nurseries and suppliers, the reciprocal agreements with dozens of botanical gardens and arboretums around the country allowing you free admission. You're right, I'm a huge fan of PHS - it's one investment you can not only feel good about, but it really pays off. . .

This was my 38th Philadelphia Flower Show, since first discovering it back in 1962. . .next year, I hope to finally realize a long-time dream of not only attending,
    but working as a volunteer - everyone agrees it's an
    awesome experience!

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Pennsylvania Horticultural Society

• jerseytropics1
    17 years ago

A few additional pics... it was a good show, a little crowded, but I'm tall, so I could see over people...

If the lighting was better I'm sure I could have gotten better photos, but its always been dark in there... even though it wasn't the best year I've seen, it was still nice to get a vision of spring, to carry me over until the real spring.

John

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I hope to sneak away tomorrow and see it. Awesome pictures jerseytropics. Anyone have any idea what the 6th picture is? the variegated succulent?
    Carl, I am with you regarding the floral designs and all the table settings. It doesn't do it for me but I appreciate what they are after. Does that make sense?

• jerseytropics1
    17 years ago

Thanks! I am pretty sure it is haworthia truncata "suzinami" it took third prize, and was submitted by Dr. Gerald Barad.

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

Terrific pictures, jerseytropics !!! Thanks for sharing...

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Last time I go on the last Saturday. It was ridiculously crowded. I took a lot of pictures. Hopefully, I will get around to posting them once I get a look. I probably enjoyed the flower arrangements more this year, actually. The shopping was too difficult and I didn't find any rhizomatous begonias this year - only a couple of those tacky purpley-red rex types. The only thing I bought was ivory california poppies and milk chocolate digitalis seeds. They had beautiful garden pieces but they are so pricey. And really, some of it you can find at Home Goods for much cheaper on a lucky day.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting