Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling care while on vacation

Posted by winterwolfes 7a NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 8:21

I have about 70 seedlings growing under plant lights in my house. I always grow all my own flowers and veggies. This year though we are going on vacation before I transplant them outside. We are going in 2 weeks and will be gone for 10 days. I am worried about my seedlings. Most of them are in 2 trays and are still in their little peat pods that I planted them in. About 25 of them have grown to the point that I put them into styrofoam cups with holes punched through the bottom.

Does anyone have a good method for maintaining seedlings while on vacation? This is an important period for them and I have to figure out how to keep them watered. I have their light on a timer already. The trays have little indents where each peat pod sits in and I can just pour water down each row and it goes to the bottom of the indent where with peat pod can soak it up. The styrofoam cups though just sit on the table.

I don't have anyone around me that can go to my house to water them.

Any suggestions???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling care while on vacation

If you have a hot tub, I'll be over every day--I promise!

Honestly, I wish I could help. I'm already thinking that July is a bad month to go away this year, due to watering issues.

o

Alison - Actually I do have a hot tub. And as a matter of fact, it is due for its spring cleaning - empty, scrub the tub and cover, soak the filter, etc, refill. If you want to do that as well you're hired! :)

I was thinking of taking out the peat pots, filling up the tray with gravel and then water just to the top of the gravel bed. Then putting the peat pots down on the gravel and fill up in between the pots with more gravel. That way they can grab water up from under the gravel and by having them surrounded by gravel they hopefully won't dry out as quickly.

Doing something similar with a gravel tray and putting the styrofoam cups on top of the gavel and water.

o

Winterwolfes,
We went away last month. I tried out a capillary mat before we left. That didn't work. I finally watered everything well and sealed everything in an airtight plastic bubble. They were healthy and beautiful when we returned after 9 days. Bonus - all the fungus gnats died.

Loretta5

o

I was going to suggest something similar.
Seal them in plastic bags. Make sure they aren't in sunlight and not soaking wet. You might lift the bag up with straws or chopsticks so the leaves aren't laying in condensation. You can blow some air into the bags before tying them off to puff them out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here