Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea's Have Never Bloomed

Posted by Tom333 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 8:37

I have several Hydrangea plants that have been in my garden for at least 5 to 10 years. I have had maybe one small bloom on one of them in all that time. I don't know the type, but they were transplanted outside from Easter/Spring greenhouse gift giving plants. They have grown well and look very healthy all summer but never bloom. I have pruned and not pruned, and still nothing. I read somewhere that Florist type Hydrangeas don't bloom once you transplant them in your outside garden. I am open for any information and suggestions anyone can offer,

Thanks
Bloomless in New Jersy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea's Have Never Bloomed

I have a lacecap florist hydrangea that did bloom but took 5 years or so. I have to check the leaves to see if it is a mac or serrata but it's too early yet.
Do the terminal buds on the old stems live through the winter?

o

If it is the type that blooms on old wood, your blooms may be killed off by winter weather. Especially this year. What is their exposure?

Linda

o

Hi, very often the hydrangeas purchased that are solely greenhouse grown and forced to bloom do not do well outdoors. My parents had a similar situation. I would recommend purchasing either an Endless Summer hydrangea or Forever Summer as they tend to bloom regardless of winter damage. The other thing to always remember with Hydrangeas is NEVER prune after Aug1. this is when the hydrangea sets its buds for the next season, so trimming past August results in few or no blooms. Hydrangeas also need at least a few hrs of sunlight per day to yield blooms. If it's in a very shady area it won't blossom easily. Hope that helps!

o

Are the stems fresh green or wood?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here