Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbluebird

April 10th frost?

njbluebird
18 years ago

Just curious if my spring fever got the best of me - I have prepared my vegetable garden for the year and this weekend planted bush beans, watermelon seeds and pumpkin seeds - each of the packages says "1-2 weeks after danger of frost" - what do I wake up to this morning on the lawn? Frost! Or are the packages talking about a "hard frost"?

Sometimes I wish the weather forecasters were gardeners too...

Comments (8)

• topnotchveggie
    18 years ago

Your best bet would be to contact your local extension office in the county in which you live. It's run by Rutgers Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service in New Jersey. They seem to have a wealth of information at thier finger tips.

I am no expert, but I saw a sign at my local garden center that said the last frost date for New Jersey would be around May 15th. So I am not sure if that is the correct date, or they are just being safe then sorry to cover their products. Let us know what you come up with.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

I always thought that the last day of frost was on or around 5/15. And we've had frosts as late as 5/25 one year (and I live but a mile from the beach in Monmouth County).

• njbluebird
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Does this mean that I shouldn't be putting any vegetable seeds in the ground yet?

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

If the seed has sprouted, get some 2 liter bottles and cut the bottoms off. You can cover your seedlings at night and remove the cover in the morning. I'll usually put a short stake in the ground and slip the bottletop over the seedling, and use popsicle sticks in 3's to create stability. I can post a picture if need be.

I'm a winter sower, and my tomatoes have been in containers, outdoors, for about a month now. If you've never heard of winter sowing, check out that forum here on GW. The containers I referred to are mini-greenhouses. They're just sprouting, and they'll stay protected in a container, at least at night, until mid May. During the day I keep the covers off, so they don't fry.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Bluebird. You can directly sow certain seeds such as peas, lettuce and spinach at this time of the year, but any of the other stuff should be deferred and grown in a "controlled" environment as Tracey cites in her post above.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

If the volunteers I get is any indication, the pumpkins should be fine.

• farmerjude
    14 years ago

You could check my Frost Date Finder based on the NCDC's Freeze/Frost data...

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost Date Finder

• garetanne
    14 years ago

I once planted my veggie garden on May 14th and we got a frost THAT night hard enough to stunt the growth of most of the plants. Since then, I only plant cool weather crops, lettuce, spinach, peas until AT LEAST the 15th, and sometimes I wait an extra week for my maters. Better safe then sorry.