Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Two things I DON'T like about Well Sweep

njtea
16 years ago

Their plants are wonderful and it's a delight to go up there and just walk around.

However, the two things I don't like about them are the husband and wife snapping at each other in front of customers - I heard it yesterday and last year as well and that fact that it would seem as if their employees are required to refer to the owners and "Mr. Hyde" or "Mrs. Hyde".

The owners snapping at each other is completely unprofessional and the reference to them by employees is off-putting making me wonder how their employees are treated.

Comments (12)

• birdgardner
    16 years ago

No excuse for snapping at each other in public - but the formal address? Do they call their employees "Ms. Smith" or by their first names.

What bugged me when I made the long trek there is that a lot of the plants weren't ready yet. But an employee was nice enough to take me in a greenhouse (not open to public) and find one for me. But some just weren't ready at all - maybe because it's so much further north.

• hunt4carl
    16 years ago

njtea: Actually, it's Dr. Jekyl and Mrs. Hyde. . .how odd
    that you should mention this, because I picked up on it last year, too. . .I'll have to keep my ears open this year
    as well. . .who knows, they might be very interested to
    hear that their public behavior is being discussed on-line,
    and if they're SMART business people, they might try to keep it under wraps. Then again. . .

From past experience, I have learned that going to Well-Sweep this early is NOT a good idea - second week in May
    is when most of their stuff goes out, and pickings are pretty good right up into early June. . .but then, things
    go down hill fast. Yes, their season IS a bit later than
    the rest of the State, but you must have noted as you were
    driving that you were constantly climbing. . .it's at a
    fairly higher elevation. As long as you plug-in to their
    optimum retail period (mid-May/early June), I still think
    they have some of the best plants at excellent prices
    around - and having their free catalog in advance can save
    you lots of time when you're there!

Carl

• njtea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whew, she says with a sigh of relief. I was sure I was going to get flamed for this post but am relieved to learn that others have noticed it also.

One of my reasons for starting this thread was with the hope that they might see it and become aware of the fact that they are off-putting to their customers.

Carl, it's not climb for me; actually, I'm at a higher elevation than they are. And since I can't stand crowds I'd rather go early in the season than at peak season.

• ellie1857
    16 years ago

I don't know about Well Swap. I couldn't find a website. Can someone give me information and directions?

• squashfold
    16 years ago

Is it the Well Sweep Herb Farm?!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.wellsweep.com/

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Yes, that's it.

• ellie1857
    16 years ago

Thanks! I found it and it is not too far from me. I am going Saturday.

• galium
    16 years ago

I originally posted Well-Sweep on the Rate and Review Vendors forum. I also emailed David Hyde and told him about the thread. My only problem was the shipping charges.

I love Well-Sweep. They are about 25 minutes from me. I go there at least once every few weeks. Also took my daughter to one of their work shops.

I've never heard anyone arguing. Nor was I aware that addressing the owners formally, by the staff, was the norm. This doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I have no problem directing David to this thread. I've recommended Well-Sweep to many people. I also include their catalogs in swap boxes. I do this only if I've purchased plants for the swap from Well-Sweep.

I'm going to email David the URL to this thread. It doesn't hurt to hear some constructive criticism.

Mariann

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

It can't be easy when you live and work in the same place and with your spouse on top of it. There is no privacy. I've never experienced any arguing, not saying you didn't. They have always been helpful and kind to my very active children. At this point, if I were to experience a tense day at Well Sweep, I could forgive them. It's difficult to be "on" every day. I couldn't do it.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I visited Well-Sweep in August one year, after hearing good things about it.
    It was terrible! The beds looked like chickens had been scratching in them. The plants looked terrible. [dry, dying, dead] In August, my herbs are in their fullest glory, so I don't understand it. They are a little North of me, but not that much to make such a difference.
    I've heard similar experiences to mine, so I don't know if I'll go again.

ellen

• njtea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know of two other family-run garden center/nursery businesses where the owners live on the property. I have never head the owners snap at each other. At one of the businesses, I know any disagreements are taken "out behind the barn", never in front of customers.

Yes, it is an extremely stressful business and living/working on site does contribute to a loss of privacy, but that's the price you pay for being in such a business and living on-site. It is not an excuse for rude behavior.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I am linking a comment posted by tomb_2007 here to keep our "discussion" in line.

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Two things I DON'T like about Well Sweep

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia