Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Stilt grass has germinated!

njtea
19 years ago

What a shock it was to see stilt grass seedlings all along the roadside as I took a morning walk.

Oh, well, one less chore for tomorrow as I was going to spread pre-emergent in the woods and on the roadside embankment.

Wait 'til next year.

Comments (6)

• skatayama
    19 years ago

I had seen several references to stilt grass here in the NJ forum and wondered what it was. I yahoo'ed it and darn if I don't have it. Not much of it but before I had pretty much left it alone. Guess I should plan to dig it up prior to mulching the plants I do want.
    I still leave those little violets where ever they grow. I like them. I also leave any self-seeded rudbeckia alone. I'm not a lazy gardener, really I'm not, but I tend to let things grow until I have something in hand to plant there.

Sheila

• wardw
    19 years ago

Too late! It looks like it'll be pulling again this year. I've penciled it in for May, June, July, August, September, with vacation starting in October

• njtea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sheila - don't dig it up! That will only create a "disturbance" in the soil which will cause more seeds to germinate.

Although I just about have to tie my hands behind my back to stop from pulling it, if it's in a place where I don't want to use Round-up, I try very, very, very hard to wait until August to even pull for fear that more seeds will germinate. I don't know if waiting is helpful or not - I just know that I don't have to bend as far down if the stilt grass is taller.

• turbo_tpl
    18 years ago

Personally, I just rip it out as soon as it gets big enough to do so. If more seeds germinate, so be it. I'll let them grow a little bit, then rip them out too.

That means I have accelerated the process of seed bank exhaustion, as long as I don't let them go to seed. Seed bank exhaustion is my only hope for that scourge....

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

Ah, stilt grass revisted. If some sharp-eyed person notices when it starts to flower let us all know so we can cut and pull then.

My pre-emergent results - regular crabgrass control worked only when applied at three times recommended rate - I used the extra in my spreader on the heavily infested ends of my yard rather than save it, and it killed it quite dead. I have a solid stilt grass stripe in the back, where I missed a row, with nearly bare earth on either side - pretty much nothing grew there but stilt grass.

The pre-emergent compatible with grass seeding worked somewhat better but not perfectly - may have been a problem with uneven spreading and the dry weather we had then - watering just didn't dissolve the granules the way drenching rains would.

Corn gluten had a very definite effect. However DH applied it and he is not the most meticulous or observant guy around when it comes to yard work. Next year I will definitely try corn gluten at the heavy rate, and do a follow up application 2-3 weeks later - I thought the stilt grass seemed delayed rather than totally stopped by the treatments.

The part of my yard where stilt grass is the least problem is where I planted Rebel fescue, not that it is entirely immune.

Lisa

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lisa, it should start going to see around the end of August. Just this evening I looked at a patch that I did nothing but cut at the proper time last year - and it's lush and luxurient.

I found pre-emergent that I was able to get down worked very well, but like you, I sure know where I missed!

Where does one buy corn gluten in bulk - and how is it applied?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!