Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourbackyard71

Red Twig Dogwood for shade

ourbackyard
16 years ago

I am looking to plant some red twig dogwood in a very shaded area. I see many varieties of this plant. Has anyone had any luck with them in deeper shade?

(South Jersey, on a stream bank, wooded with tulip trees.)

Comments (5)

• bogey123
    16 years ago

I had 3 of them that were in moderate shade, they did ok. But the problem I had with them was they were so far back I couldn't enjoy the color in winter since I couldn't see them from my window. I realized after the fact that I shouldn't have bothered to pay the premium for that variety.

Good luck.

• hoopersjudge
    16 years ago

i have several planted in deep shade under a norway maple and they are doing fine (and after being transplanted 3x!!).

• hunt4carl
    16 years ago

Both Cornus sericea 'Artic Fire' (3'-4'tall) and Cornus
    sericea 'Kelseyi' (2' tall) have performed well for me in
    shade. . .the real trick with red-twig dogwood, though, is
    siting them in front of a light colored wall or fence, or
    a tawny clump of over-wintering ornamental grass, which was my favorite solution. . .

Incidentally, there's a fair amount of confusion in the
    trade between Cornus sericea and/or Cornus stoloniferous -
    easier to look for the varietal name.

Carl

• ourbackyard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carl,
    Thank you. The one I have on the north side of my white masonry home does great. What is the difference between Cornus sericea and Cornus stoloniferous. I have about a dozen red-twig, and there are many different looks. Have you propagated yours? I'm going to some of that this year as I am getting tired of paying for them. Again, thanks, Ron

• diytrying
    15 years ago

I have one growing in front of my house almost directly in the shade of a large maple and it's doing fine. It is a western exposure so it probably gets more afternoon light because of that. Mine has variagated leaves so it really shows up. Definitely one of my favorite shrubs.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH