Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pentas in NJ?

Posted by neshanicguy 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 10:15

Has anyone in the Central NJ area had any success with Pentas in their garden? I was at a butterfly exhibit at the NY Mus of History and one of the staff recommended Pentas. I've never seen them at my local nursery. Do you grow them from seed or do you find it at a Lowes? The staff person seemed surprised that I had never heard of them yet none of my favorite catalogs carry it. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pentas in NJ?

You could grow them from seed, but they needed to be sown indoors weeks ago. Most HD's, Lowes, and your local nursery will have them in stock soon, they should not be hard to find at all. Check out the link below, this is one of my favorite nurseries in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Valley Farms

o

I do. Love them. They are a tender perennial, so I dig mine up every year to overwinter. If you are near Maplewood, you can usually find them at the Maplewood Garden Club's plant sale (May 7 - 9).

o

I got my pentas at Timothy's on Rt 130 in Robbinsville. I don't know if that's near you, but it's worth the drive if it's not. There are several HUGE garden centers within the same mile or so on 130 right there.

http://www.timothyscenter.com/

http://www.amgardencenter.net/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here