Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djjaws

Pepper re-seeding

djjaws
13 years ago

I planted my 90-day bell peppers about 4 weeks ago, along with my longer season hot peppers and tomatoes. Last week I planted my 65-75 day hot peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, etc. Now, I'm kinda new to seedlings, although we had commercial greenhouses when I was a kid, but I never really learned the "tricks" to getting seeds out of the ground. I just kinda did what I was told. Come to find out, peppers are tough to germinate in room-temp soils. I broke down and spent the 80 bucks on a heat mat and thermostat setup. All seems to be working fairly well. The tomatoes came up without help. The hot peppers germinated but didn't make sprouts until the heat was applied. However the bell peppers aren't moving at all. I planted 36 seeds, I have 1 sprout. When should I give up and re-seed the bells? Should I hold out and see if they come up in the next week or so? I'd like them to come in around the same time as the hots and the tomatoes (I make salsa with everything!) I'm getting concerned b/c the hot peppers I planted last week are starting to sprout before the peppers I planted a month ago. When should I concede that the first seeds are a fail and replant them?

Comment (1)