Is Musa Basjoo up yet?

Posted by hvenkatr Z6 NJ USA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 10:30

Any one grow Musa Basjoo in NJ?
I am still waiting for mine to sprout..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Musa Basjoo up yet?

Mine has been sprouting all around the central trunk for three weeks, but no central growth. At least it lived.

M. sikkaminsis is doing nothing but still is firm under the dead leaves. I am afraid to cut into it too far.

o

Mine are starting.

o

helllo all
i managed to get a trunk of one of my basjoos up to my knee in height to sprout.
it is sited in full sun and i used a large contractor grade plastic bag punched a hole in the bottom of it last year.
put the trunk through the bag and the packed it with autum leaves.
i cut it to 3 feet last fall before i packed it away. the tip of the trunk must have froze but the bottom half was in great shape i just cut it back till i got past the mush. and it has since sprouted from that trunk of last year.
hope you all have a great growing season and i hope this basjoo will flower for me since its the trunk from last summer thats still growing.
njsteve zone six in hillsdale nj

o

njsteve - do you cut the trunk until you get to living tissue?

o

BIRDGARDENER

YES I CUT THE TRUNK UNTIL I GET PAST THE WET MUSH AND HIT THE LIVE TISSUE.
ONE OF MY BASJOO'S HIT 14 FOOT LAST SUMMER.

HAVE A GOOD GROWING SEASON

NJSTEVE Z-6

o

Dear all,
Finally - My Basjoo is coming out!!!!

o

Not only up, but doing real well. If you look down at the pup (which appeared late last summer) you can see the spot where I cut this guy in Nov.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jersey Shore basjoo pic

o

wow!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here