Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub similar to hibiscus but blooms earlier

Posted by winterwolfes 7a NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 11:10

I planted some hardy hibiscus last spring around my pool. When I researching companion plants last fall, I came across a shrub that had similar large flowers but woke up and bloomed earlier than the hibiscus. I remember reading that it was a good idea to alternate hibiscus and this plant because this other would bloom early in the season and then hibiscus would come back and bloom in the summer when that one was done. I thought it would be perfect around the pool. But the problem is I cannot remember the name of this other shrub! All I know is that it was a fairly common one and if I saw it, I would recognize it immediately. Its driving me crazy. Anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub similar to hibiscus but blooms earlier

Double-file Viburnum? Cranberry Bush (also a viburnum)? Or Mock-orange? (Philadelphus)?

WW

o
RE: Shrub similar to hibiscus but blooms earlier

I just remember what it was. Peonies. This time I wrote it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here