Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Agastache Desert Sunrise

njtea
18 years ago

Has anybody purchased Agastache Desert Sunrise from High Country Gardens? Has it been successful for you?

I purchased one a couple of years ago - last year it bloomed beautifully, I moved it while in bloom in the heat and the dry of last summer. I moved it so quickly it apparently didn't know it had been moved, it never wilted, but continued to bloom and grow taller until frost cut it back.

Earlier this week I uncovered it and I see no growth whatsoever, while my other agastaches have started to put out new growth.

I sent off an e-mail to High Country Gardens but was just wondering what experiences other NJ gardeners might have had with this plant.

TIA

Comments (14)

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

Desert Sunrise was my only HCG agastache to survive the winter - it put out basal growth in the fall unlike Ava and Shades of Orange, which I don't hold out any more hope for - the bark is splitting and there is no growth.

It was the smallest of the three during the summer but I did like the mix of orange and purple in its flowers. A plant best in close-up.

The one I loved was Shades of Orange, always in bloom and such a delightful scent. Next time I get agastaches I'm taking cuttings for insurance, but I was tired of babying things.

Which ones survived for you?

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Birdgardner, Ava and A. cana survived for me. I'm not giving up hope yet on Desert Sunrise mainly because my Salvia greggii survived the winter in unprotected pots - they have just begun to put out new growth. Also, Verberna bonariensis survived, although it was mulched with the fallen leaves, as was Desert Sunrise. Hope springs eternal.

Steve, of my 3 bearberries, the one in the most shade is the one that still has some life left in it!!!

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Birdgardner, here's the response I got from HCG:

"Thank you for contacting High Country Gardens. It seems that your plants should be up by now. If there is anything above the ground that you can tug, see if the plant is still attached to the roots. If not, you might be better off ordering another one. Possible reasons that the plant didnÂt come back could include too much winter moisture and/or crown rot."

I personally don't think it's rot - the stems are still attached from when I cut the plant back and it certainly wasn't too much winter moisture as these plants sit at the top of a steep, dry slope. It's also tight to its roots in the ground.

I think I'm going to wait until next spring to see what happens with the two remaining agastache from HCG before I reorder. Don't want to be throwing good money after bad.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Here is a picture of the Agastache I purchased at the Rutgers Plant sale last year. It was labeled Tutti Frutti and was around $3 for a small pot. Any reference I read about Tutti Frutti doesn't show a two tone flower. Do you think this is like yours? Mine did come back. It's not the best picture but I can't find any others right now. Click to enlarge.

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

My agastaches were in a raised bed on a slope with lots of sand - very well-drained. There's no rotting, no softening - they are just dry sticks. It's like Ava and Shades of Orange were annuals - they got thin and sparse and stopped growing last fall, whereas Desert Sunrise made the basal growth that stayed alive all winter.

They weren't all that drought tolerant last summer either - they definitely appreciated water when we had no rain for so long.

Salvia Wild Thing also survived but I wouldn't order again from HCG - too expensive and climate too different.

Oh, Zauschneria arizona from HCG has survived two winters now - although my mother brought those plants back from New Mexico. But it hasn't bloomed.

And red yucca from a Texas trader too. So some SW natives can make it here.

If you're going to be in my neighborhood (Montgomery Twp) email me, and we can swap cuttings.

Loretta, that does look something like Desert Sunrise in the flower color - I'm definitely hitting the Rutgers sale this year.

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Birdgardner, you don't have any idea of how envious I am that Zauschneria arizonica has survivied for you. I grew it when I lived in CA and it was my most favorite plant - the hummers LOVED it! I had aboslutely no luck with it either in Gladstone and certainly not up here near Califon. I do hope it blooms for you.

I'm going to hit Well Sweep next week. Their catalog offers A. Apricot Sunrise, as well as Tutti Fruti and a couple of others. Maybe I'll have more luck with plants grown more locally.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

You got Well Sweep's catalog already?
    NJTea, I would call Well Sweep first and make sure they are ready. I tried to hit them early last year but they weren't set up yet. They are a little colder up there.

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Loretta, I looked in their catalog on line. They are only 10 miles from me and it's a quick trip - besides gives me something to do.

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This morning, when I went out past the area where I grow the xeric type plants I spotted a plant tag for "Sunset Hyssop Plant Select For The Rocky Mountain and Plains States". I now recall that I had purchased this agastache also from HCG - and it didn't survive. I think I'm not going to buy from them any more.

• ladychroe
    18 years ago

When is the Rutger's plant sale this year?

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

May 13

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Rats, I have a baby shower that day. Do you think I can make it to Tarrytown by 2:30?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Plant Sale

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

Hmm. I can't find a Rutgers plant sale when I do a search now though I have 5/13 on my calendar - there's Ag-Field day, (4/29) when some plants including tomatoes will be sold. Last year there was greenhouse stuff and herbs - I got bouvardia and fuchsia but the big sale was the week after.

There are also a couple county extension sales.

I have a friend whose husband works in the greenhouses there - I will call her.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Just a note, my agastache did come back but never bloomed again. I did move it and it lived for a while. Eventually it disappeared for one reason or another.